Author Topic: Thesis on J.M. Barrie  (Read 5328 times)

Elena_SC

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Thesis on J.M. Barrie
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Elena and I'm an Italian student. I'm about to start my thesis and I've decided to write it on J.M. Barrie, though not on Peter Pan. In fact, being a student of both English and Norwegian literature, I've thought it interesting to concentrate on Barrie's early burlesque "Ibsen's Ghost". As much as I love PP, Barrie was a prolific and exceptional writer and it's sad that he's almost only remembered for his masterpiece, at least here in Italy. 
I know there's not much material on "Ibsen's ghost", but I was wondering if any of you could help me in any way?
Also, I need a bibliography of all that Barrie has written, but I seem to be unable to find a complete one.
Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from you =)
Elena

GOSH

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • GOSH
Re: Thesis on J.M. Barrie
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:53:05 AM »
Hello Elena, and welcome to this forum. Excellent choice for a thesis. Barrie definitely has more to offer than Peter Pan, so good to see his earliest plays remembered.

Barrie's Wikipedia page appears to give a complete list of his works, although some of his short stories may be missing. Otherwise, the online catalogues of the British Library (www.bl.uk) or the National Library of Scotland (www.nls.uk) would be useful.

I don't know offhand where one could find material on Ibsen's Ghosts itself, but the Beinecke Library at Yale University (http://beinecke.library.yale.edu) might help, as they have the largest collection of Barrie archives and material in the world.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your research.

Elena_SC

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
Thank you so much for answering =) The wikipedia's bibliography is in fact the only one I could find, but I wanted to compare it with another one, just to be sure.
I'll try to contact the Yale Library to see if they have anything that can help me.
I also tried to look in this website's database for documents on Ibsen and my research gave two results, Punch & Judy Show: On stage - living figures - (Ibsenite or otherwise), and Ibsen drama = Drama with a past. the problem is I can't open them. Am i doing something wrong? Does anyone have them, by any chance?

GOSH

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • GOSH
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 05:01:14 PM »
Hello. No, you're not doing anything wrong - I tried too, but there were no documents to open and I don't know why.

I have moved the topic to the Barrie section of the forum so that it's more visible to other visitors, who might be able to help you in your research.

I think the Wikipedia list is probably the most complete you could find, as I don't know of any published list. Most biographies generally list "selected works" only.

Apart from the Beinecke, I would also look into the British Library catalogue, as they have a huge collection of newspapers and magazines, and you might be able to find reviews of Barrie's play.

Elena_SC

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 05:59:27 PM »
Thank you so much, you're of great help =)

Valentina Bold

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »
Dear Elena,

It may be too late but... there's a terrific article on Barrie as a dramatist, including 'Ibsen's Ghost' by Jan Macdonald in a collection of essays I co-edited with Andrew Nash: 'Gateway to the Modern: Resituating J.M. Barrie'.  if you're not in contact with Jan Macdonald yet, she would be a very helpful lead for you, and you can find her via the University of Glasgow website, www.gla.ac.uk.

With all best wishes,

Valentina Bold

Elena_SC

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
Hi Valentina,
I graduated in December 2016 and I have to say I was very happy with my thesis.
Although your suggestion was too late for that, I have decided to try and make Barrie's other works known in Italy. I'm currently translating "Courage" and I hope someone will be interested in publishing it. Thank you so much for your suggestion, I hope I will be able to use the article for my next project =D

Elena

Tamra12345

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »
Hello ELENA
welcome to the forum your choice of thesis is same as mine did you translate courage