Author Topic: J.M. Barrie and the Ballets Russes  (Read 385 times)

Gabriela

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
J.M. Barrie and the Ballets Russes
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Hello All,

I am a doctoral candidate in English Literature, and I'm currently writing on J.M. Barrie and the Ballets Russes.  I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the extent of Barrie's familiarity with Diaghilev's company.  He of course collaborated with Tamara Karsavina, one of the founding members of the Ballets Russes, in The Truth About the Russian Dancers, but I am hoping to ascertain his knowledge of particular works within the Ballets Russes' repertoire. 

So far I have evidence that he attended the Ballets Russes' 1919 summer season, and that he attended the ballet on 21 May 1919 with his sister and Audrey Lucas.  Unfortunately this was a Wednesday, so there was both a matinee (at 2:30) and an evening (at 8:30) performance this day.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about ascertaining which performance he attended? 

From the script of The Truth About the Russian Dancers we know that Barrie was familiar with La Boutique fantasque, but I'm keen to discover which other ballets may have influenced/informed his play.

Cheers!

Bruneau

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: J.M. Barrie and the Ballets Russes
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
Hi Gabriela, are there any information about what they did before or after the ballet? Might give you an idea of a likely time of day of the show they attended.