Author Topic: Possible Video Of Michael  (Read 4120 times)

jolwerthing

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Possible Video Of Michael
« on: June 24, 2018, 02:19:56 PM »
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too much, but it is worth asking your opinions on whether this video features Michael walking past the camera at the beginning. I've watched it many times...it looks like the nose is too big to be him...but the light seems to make everyone's noses look a little big. It doesn't help that he contorts his face either...but it is worth posting I think. He also has distinctive 'folds' or creases in his skin coming down on either side from his nostrils to his mouth...you can see these clearly in the photo of him in Andrew Birkin's book when he is holding something between thumb and forefinger while sitting in a boat, at Eilean Shona I think.

I read an article on here that Michael attended a military camp for the Scottish brigade at Wimbledon, and left the camp to attend an examination at Oxford, drowning a few days later. It seems to be a well-timed search, some videos of that camp have recently been uploaded to Getty images.

Even if it is unlikely to be him, it is still fascinating that Michael would have seen those camps, perhaps spoken with some of the solders in the videos...here's the link...

https://www.gettyimages.co.nz/detail/video/soldiers-of-the-london-scottish-reserve-regiment-stock-video-footage/mr_00057893

It would be so wonderful if it was him! Eager to hear your opinions, and clarification as to whether the post I read on here was accurate.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:24:57 PM by jolwerthing »

Chanelferris

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Video Of Michael
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Hello @jolwerthing, I had a look at the video although I couldn’t tell which one was Michael.
Was he holding anything? Now I know you are not 100% sure that is Michael as you said not to get our hopes up but just which person did you think/ or know that was Michael?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:01:33 PM by Chanelferris »

jolwerthing

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »
Well, that is not a good sign then that you cannot pick him out. Oh well.

He walks right across the camera behind another man, they are both not in uniform. They're both carrying supplies, blankets etc.

Chanelferris

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »
Hey, actually to seeing the person you are referring too had me think that maybe it is actually Michael. I had a sense before but I myself wasn’t 100% sure. Let us just wait to see other viewers thoughts. You maybe right.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:43:05 PM by Chanelferris »

MichaelDavid

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 02:54:52 AM »
It would be next to impossible to say who that image is.  Clip is very short.  I rather doubt that is Michael in 1921.  Grasping for straws here, but interesting. 

jolwerthing

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 03:26:12 AM »
Here's the post if anyone has trouble finding it:

"Both Dennis Mackail and E. V. Lucas mention that Michael joined the London Scottish Regiment (a territorial unit) as a private in March or April 1921.  The London Scottish archivist has just informed me that Michael attended a regimental camp on Wimbledon Common "a few days" before he died.
This suggests that Michael was not taking his degree studies very seriously, and that he might have been  thinking of a career in the army, like his uncle Guy, after he had finished at Oxford.  JMB's complete silence on this matter may be a sign of his disapproval."

"From The London Scottish Regimental Gazette, June 1921, p.78:

We regret to have  to announce the death of Private M. L. Davies of the 14th Batt. London Defence Corps.  Mr. Davies was an adopted son of Sir James Barrie, and was an undergraduate of Christ Church, Oxford.  He with Mr. R. E. V. Buxton were unfortunately drowned near Sandford bathing pool on the Thames near Oxford.  He was only 21 years of age and left Wimbledon Camp a few days before the sad event to attend an examination."

Post is by the member with the username Nicholas.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:04:12 AM by jolwerthing »

Nicholas

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 08:12:02 PM »
I have just looked at the videos available from Getty Images and, for what it is worth, I do not recognise any of the men as Michael, but thank you for uncovering these films, which capture some of the atmosphere of the period. The men in the films - mainly unemployed workers and a few disgruntled officers - look rather as I imagine the infamous and contemporary Black and Tans to have been. 

To be accurate, Michael either joined London Scottish Regiment directly or was seconded to LSR from the Oxford University OTC. LSR was one of the units making up 14th Battalion London Defence Corps. The LSR archivist did not have Michael's army number on file so he was probably on secondment. Michael was first involved with London Scottish in March or April 1921 at the time of the coal emergency panic, and attended the Wimbledon camp in May.  It sounds pedantic but please write: "London Scottish Regiment" and not "Scottish brigade" which is misleading.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 07:34:44 PM by Nicholas »