Author Topic: sort of a newbie  (Read 5776 times)

TICKING

sort of a newbie
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:35:40 PM »
members, i remember seeing the disney movie growing up. i recently viewed HOOK . i have never seen neverland or the lost boys[only the vampire flick of the same name:) ]. i have always thought of peter pan as magical figure [almost a part of myth or folklore] . i just ordered two hardcovers of the j.m. barrie novel " peter pan" and i ordered the 2003 movie of the same name which i have never seen. i am really looking forward to reading the book, i am sure its more magical than any movie or animated feature i have seen.i am happy to have found this site and i am sure that i will be asking some questions and learning a great deal. i am 50 years old and a lover of fantasy and i believe i never grew up:)----so thanks for having me -----ticking[ralph grasso]

CoriSCapnSkip

Re: sort of a newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:24:39 AM »
Hi, I just signed on.  Giving away my age, my first experience of Pan was the Kiddle, Peter Paniddle!

Crocodile

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:00 AM »
Hey...this is me...same person.  I changed my username back when our profiles were all accidentally replaced with others.  Maybe I will take the time to change it back.  Anyhow, Peter Paniddle was one of my favorite Kiddles and I just wondered whether any companies making Pan-based dolls had to pay royalties such as those making movies.  Also how about the many children's book adaptations?  I have several illustrated kids' versions.

I don't see a way to add a picture here but will see if I can add a link to some good images.

Most of what I can find are auctions.  Here is one with some of the better images.  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-little-liddle-kiddle-3547-1726732994
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:50:52 AM by Crocodile »

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
Those Kiddles dolls are not on sale in the UK and I doubt GOSH would have got royalties from the American manufacturer. Even Barrie did not receive royalties from many products and merchandise based on Peter Pan made in the early years (such as Peter Pan Peanut Butter or Peter Pan Bus Lines, as copyright was more difficult to oversee then, particularly overseas. In more recent times, because of different copyright terms worldwide, Peter Pan is in the public domain in most countries so no royalties would be due (except where trade marks have been registered, and most of these would be owned by Disney).

Royalties would have been due on books published while the copyright of the novel Peter & Wendy was still running, which I believe was until the 1980s in the US and Australia (for example). Once Peter Pan entered the public domain, no royalties would be due to GOSH, except in the UK where the Copyright Act of 1988 granted them a right to royalty in perpetuity from all commercial exploitation on stage, radio, publishing, or film (but not toys or merchandise), even though it is officially out of copyright.

Hope that helps!

Crocodile

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 04:01:00 AM »
That's really interesting.  I guess you know about Harry Potter ripoffs in Russia and China.

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »
Yes, I know about them but of course, JK Rowling has a lot more clout (and money) to deal with them. Back in the day, Barrie and then GOSH did not have the advantage of the internet to sniff out all those pirate editions and ripoffs. Before WW2, there were many US illustrated unauthorised adaptations, some of them rather strange (one of them renamed one of the Darling boys Richard, one wonders why?).

Nowadays, we have the plague of self-published books, prequels and sequels, whose authors mostly did not seem to bother reading the original but tried to reinvent the wheel... Thank God Barrie did not have to witness or police that!