Author Topic: Geraldo slanders Barrie  (Read 27617 times)

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Geraldo slanders Barrie
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
Wendy is the main character in both.  MLD I wasn 't suggesting you were trying to shoot anyone, merely bringing them down to earth.

MLD

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Wendy? I am taking about the character of Peter Pan. He is very diferent in the novel. Don't ask how just read it if you have not. He is not the innocent hero of adventure as in the play.  He is very dark.

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Wendy? I am taking about the character of Peter Pan. He is very diferent in the novel. Don't ask how just read it if you have not. He is not the innocent hero of adventure as in the play.  He is very dark.

Again I ask, how is that different from the play?  I seem to recall him being similarly dark in that (I have a copy of the script and have read it more than once).

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »
"The Peter Pan of the novel is very different from the play. He is not actualy the hero."  Meaning that he is not the hero in the play? or in the novel? My point being that Wendy is the main character - aka hero/ine - in both.

Peter is clearly more complex in the novel since Barrie is able to tell us what's going on in his mind; moreover by 1911 (when Barrie wrote the novel) Peter had taken on some of the characteristics of Michael Ll Davies (e.g. bad dreams), but other than that, I wouldn't say that he was very different from the boy in the play.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:22:42 PM by Andrew »

MLD

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 10:32:50 PM »
I don't read Wendy as the MAIN character in either.  Peter however as written in the novel is obviously more conceited to the point of being mean and kills without feeling.  He is the villian and not the hero.  An evil youth who steals children from their beds.  Do we see this in the play?  No, we do not. 

I don't know why Andrew would say they are not different.  Many, many reviews point out the same thing.  I think Andrew likes to argue with everything I bring up now. 

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »
Will you please just relax already? Come on now. As for how I view Peter Pan..i don't put him in any kind of a box. I look at him as a mixture of all the different versions I've seen. The fact that me and my boyfriend use Peter and Wendy as nicknames goes to the fact we're both child-like and we're more like the relationship in the 2003 movie with some of the novel intertwined. I love all things Pan....yes unfortunately even aspects of the movie Hook i liked lol Though I totally dislike the idea of Peter Pan growing up etc and the movie has major problems with it (in my opinion which i don't think EVERYONE has to agree with as you seem to think). But please...just simmer down a bit okay? Things are getting very worked up on here over nothing.

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 11:04:59 PM »
Will you please just relax already? Come on now. As for how I view Peter Pan..i don't put him in any kind of a box. I look at him as a mixture of all the different versions I've seen. The fact that me and my boyfriend use Peter and Wendy as nicknames goes to the fact we're both child-like and we're more like the relationship in the 2003 movie with some of the novel intertwined. I love all things Pan....yes unfortunately even aspects of the movie Hook i liked lol Though I totally dislike the idea of Peter Pan growing up etc and the movie has major problems with it (in my opinion which i don't think EVERYONE has to agree with as you seem to think). But please...just simmer down a bit okay? Things are getting very worked up on here over nothing.

THANK you for being the voice of reason--this and the other thread have gotten WAY off topic, and unnecessarily so.

I still think Peter was similarly devilish in the play (and I've read the script more than once), and it would help to give specific examples of such differences--I mean, Peter did kill in the play and he did kidnap Wendy and her brothers in the play (at least, no differently than in the book), and he was cocky in both.  He was really neither the hero nor the villain in either.

But to each his own, I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:22:32 AM by AlexanderDavid »

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 11:09:13 PM »

THANK you for being the voice of reason--this and the other thread have gotten WAY off topic, and unnecessarily so.

I still think Peter was similarly devilish in the play (and I've read the script more than once), but to each his own, I suppose.

I don't think Peter was ever really EVIL which I feel is what is being implied by the poster....I think he is devilish but still innocent...he's a boy without a mother...he has many sides to his personality and many deep rooted issues that what makes him so great! He's complex! He's not flat he's a well rounded character. I LOVE this character..I don't think just because he's not the "hero" makes him the villain either...again...just my thought. But i LOVE him!

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 11:11:33 PM »
I don't think Peter was ever really EVIL which I feel is what is being implied by the poster....I think he is devilish but still innocent...he's a boy without a mother...he has many sides to his personality and many deep rooted issues that what makes him so great! He's complex! He's not flat he's a well rounded character. I LOVE this character..I don't think just because he's not the "hero" makes him the villain either...again...just my thought. But i LOVE him!

Exactly--hence "gay and innocent and heartless."  He's AMORAL, not IMMORAL.  He does things without thinking of the consequences because he can't even remember them--hence for him there ARE no consequences and he can't learn from his mistakes.  And he can't tell the difference between real and pretend either, so "killing" is a game to him, not unlike killing baddies in a video game.

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 11:24:57 PM »

Exactly--hence "gay and innocent and heartless."  He's AMORAL, not IMMORAL.  He does things without thinking of the consequences because he can't even remember them--hence for him there ARE no consequences and he can't learn from his mistakes.  And he can't tell the difference between real and pretend either, so "killing" is a game to him, not unlike killing baddies in a video game.

Exactly!