Author Topic: Michael’s Major at Oxford?  (Read 1970 times)

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Michael’s Major at Oxford?
« on: August 20, 2021, 02:53:43 AM »
What was Michael’s major at Oxford? Is it true, like it’s stated in The Lost Boys film, that he had trouble choosing a major and thought about graduating in Classics or Poetry before he wanted to study art in Paris?
Also was Michael close to graduating Oxford when he died, or did he still have a year or two left of school?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:56:12 AM by Dani1923 »

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Michael’s Major at Oxford?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
Michael took Mods (or Moderations) in Latin and Greek, the first part of the Classics degree course known as Literae Humaniores (also known as Greats) and yes, he did seriously think of studying art in Paris instead of going to Oxford, but Barrie dissuaded him from taking that path. (Michael was again tempted the following year but changed his mind.)

By 'school', I assume you mean college/university years? Michael went to Oxford in January 1919. I think a Classics degree requires 4 years so by the time of his death in 1921, he had only done 2 years.

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Michael’s Major at Oxford?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 07:58:39 PM »
Thanks Brutus!
But now I wonder why Michael didn’t study art when he went to Oxford? And I wonder if he ever submitted his drawings anywhere like Punch? And if he never did, why? I guess these are answers that we’ll just never know.