Author Topic: Unmade John Hughes Peter Pan Disney Live-Action Remake  (Read 670 times)

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Unmade John Hughes Peter Pan Disney Live-Action Remake
« on: April 24, 2023, 04:21:39 PM »
Back in the ‘90s, Disney was starting to make live-action remakes of their classic animated films. Unlike today though, the 90’s remake phase didn’t last very long, only doing four films between 1994 and 2000 and only doing adaptations of The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians. Disney didn’t do another live-action remake until 10 years later in 2010 with Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland remake which became the first Disney movie to make over $1 billion globally and that started the Disney live-action remake trend as we know it today.
Recently I found out that during the short-lived Disney live-action remake phase of the ‘90s, in 1995, John Hughes was writing the screenplay and possibly going to direct and produce a Peter Pan live-action remake!
In case you don’t know, John Hughes was a screenwriter, director, and producer most famous for his teen comedies of the 1980s like The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Sixteen Candles, but he also had his hand in a lot of kid’s movies of the ‘90s like Home Alone, Dennis the Menace, and Beethoven, and he did some remakes of old movies like Miracle on 34th Street and Flubber (a remake of Disney’s The Absent-Minded Professor). He had also already written the screenplay for Disney’s live-action remake 101 Dalmatians which was released in 1996. I’m guessing the Peter Pan remake would have been released sometime between 1997 and 1999.
Hughes sadly passed away in 2009.
These are two articles from 1995 talking about Hughes being involved in the Peter Pan remake:

July 1995: https://www.tampabay.com/archive/1995/07/27/live-action-pan-is-in-the-wings/?outputType=amp

August 1995: Los Angeles Timeshttps://www.latimes.com › archivesToo-True Tales : Remakes of Four Animated Classics as Live-Action ...

Though I love John Hughes’ teen comedies, (Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller being my favorite films of his) admittedly, his projects and his writing had significantly dropped in quality in the ‘90s, but there’s a part of me that’s curious to know what his version of Peter Pan would have been like. Actors that Hughes worked with actually compared his personality to Peter Pan.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 04:24:13 PM by Dani1923 »