Author Topic: new biography of Barrie  (Read 10654 times)

ecb

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
new biography of Barrie
« on: June 09, 2005, 01:38:31 PM »
This is the first review of the new biography of Barrie - Hide and Seek with Angels - which I've seen.  Not exactly a rave - at least Andrew Birkin's book is referred to as "terrific"!
You do have to register with the Spectator - but I must say that I don't get spam mail from them:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/books.php?id=2876&page=1

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Philip Hensher's review in "The Spectator"
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 02:11:04 PM »
Hide and Seek with Angels: A Life of J. M. Barrie
Lisa Chaney
Hutchinson, 402pp, £20, ISBN 0091795397

When I was a child, I frankly and thoroughly detested Peter Pan in every single one of its manifestations; horrible Christmas stage spectacular, horrible Disney cartoon, horrible, horrible novel. It was a passionate and immediate hatred, shot through with something very like terror. In part, I guess, it was the idea that someone might come through your bedroom curtains and abduct you; partly the idea, sinister and frightening, of a child prevented from growing up. Childhood has its own helpless fears, and it would be a strange child who found the prospect of never changing an appealing one.

Really, the unanalysed dislike I had for Peter Pan was a dislike for something which evidently had undeclared designs upon me. I disliked C. S. Lewis’s Narnia books for a similar reason; just at those moments where, as a young reader, you wanted to commune with a mind like your own, you came up hard against some undeclared adult preoccupations. In the Narnia books, it turned out to be Christian doctrine. In Peter Pan it turned out to be sex. The presence of sexual desire in Peter Pan has been much gone over in recent years — it has become a favourite text for a certain sort of gruesome literary theorist. The unholy combination, in the figure of Wendy, of a wife darning socks, a helpless girl, a mother and, most of all, a kind of Scheherazade-like courtesan (she knows ‘such lots of stories’) is at the centre of it. The more dangerous, indeed murderous passions of Tinkerbell — a figure straight out of Ouida — are as morbidly confusing to a young audience as Hook’s peculiar obsessions. The age was coming to terms with childhood sexuality, but Peter Pan projects adult desires onto children. More subtle analysts, like Henry James in What Maisie Knew, understand very well that, though children do possess their own pre- sexual desires, the sexuality of adults is obscure and often frightening to them. Peter Pan has forgotten, at some crucial level, what it is really like to be a child.

Of course, it is not really a work for children, as perceptive commentators, such as Gladys Cooper, immediately recognised. It is the fantasy of a most peculiar adult mind, and it has turned into a myth. Many works of 20th-century literature which have turned into myths in this way have the same under- lying subject. Peter Pan, like The Lord of the Rings, or Dracula or The Invasion of the Body Snatchers, say, is really about corruption. Corruption, in Peter Pan, really means, incredibly, growing up. The 19th century was obsessed with tales of redemption; the 20th with stories of slow contagion. A version of Peter Pan, like Hook, an awful rewriting from Steven Spielberg, which adds redemption when the grown-up Pan rediscovers ‘his inner child’, totally misses the point. In Barrie, the state of bliss in childhood is lost by everyone except Peter, and that is that.

Was Barrie what we would now call a paedophile? You could certainly build a much stronger case against him from his writings than, say, against Lewis Carroll. There is a truly horrible passage in The Little White Bird where he puts a small boy to bed:

I knew by intuition that he expected me to take off his boots. I took them off with all the coolness of an old hand, and then I placed him on my knee and removed his blouse. This was a delightful experience, but I think I remained wonderfully calm until I came somewhat too suddenly to his braces, which agitated me profoundly.
I cannot proceed in public with the disrobing of David.

Not just a wretched lecher, but something of a foot-fetishist, Barrie confessed to his notebooks ‘the queer pleasure it gives when George tells me to lace his shoes &c’. It comes as no surprise to learn that Barrie never consummated his marriage. (Unintent- ionally, but rather appropriately, his wife has no entry at all in the index to this book.) I think one could have worked that out from Peter Pan alone.

Lisa Chaney defends such frankly alarming passages by pointing out that nobody objected to them at the time. It is true that a certain sort of adult desire could be much more openly expressed then than now. Even George V ordered the dresses of his grand-daughters Elizabeth and Margaret Rose to be shortened on one occasion because ‘I want to see their pretty little knees’. But there was, and is, something wrong about someone taking so much pleasure in undressing little boys.

His contemporaries did, I think, know that there was something wrong with Barrie, and it comes out in an unexpected way. One of the striking things about this book is how often he was described as a genius, and how often it acts as an excuse. George Meredith’s son, Will, wrote on Barrie’s divorce that Barrie, ‘as so often is the case with genius [has] but little virility’. Desmond McCarthy told Cynthia Asquith that he was
part mother, part hero-worshipping maiden, part grandfather and part pixie with no man in him at all. His genius is a coquettish thing, with just a drop of benevolent acid in it sometimes.

These are really excuses; they knew something needed an excuse.
The central episode in Barrie’s life is his relationship with the Llewellyn-Davies family. This, of course, has been the subject of a terrific book by Andrew Birkin, and Lisa Chaney’s own account so conspicuously comes to life only when she is covering the same ground that she needs to justify herself by criticising what she calls Birkin’s inaccuracy. It is hard to admire Barrie much here. He insinuated himself into the family, and though Sylvia Llewellyn-Davies clearly liked him, and the younger boys too, neither Arthur nor the elder boys were comfortable with the situation. Barrie used his celebrity and his immense wealth to force himself on the family. After both parents died tragically young, he took on the burden of bringing up the boys, but the way he went to some lengths to separate them from their other relations was disgraceful, as was the way he sulked and plotted revenge when they committed the most ordinary sin of growing up. The ones he liked best were the ones who died young. Lisa Chaney’s book suffers under the burden that the story, when it becomes interesting, has been told already. Though the interest of Barrie is not limited to Peter Pan — The Admirable Crichton has a strong period charm, and Chaney makes an energetic case for Sentimental Tommy, an early novel, immensely popular at the time — that and the Llewellyn-Davies story do overshadow almost everything else. I would have liked to have heard more about the later writings, particularly Dear Brutus, a play which only survives now through one of Dorothy Parker’s most hilariously insulting reviews, and, in particular, whether it’s as awful as it sounds.

The parts of the book which are interesting concern Barrie’s professional life. He knew absolutely everybody from the King downwards. At Hardy’s funeral, he was one of the pallbearers, along with two prime ministers, Housman, Kipling, and Shaw. Chaney gives us a good deal of fascinating information about Barrie’s huge wealth; she could, however, have been more expansive about his friendships with the great. I guess, for instance, that he must have known George Frampton, who sculpted Peter Pan for Kensington Gardens, through George Meredith; I would have liked a bit more, too, about the Boucicault family, who were so involved in the first production of Peter Pan. We don’t hear anything about royalty until George VI’s telegram on Barrie’s death, referring to him as an ‘old friend’. When? How? I get the impression, too, that Barrie had a fair number of friends among politicians, but it is all rather skimmed over.

Philip Hensher

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fierychariot.co.uk
new biography of Barrie
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 07:02:56 AM »
Thank you, Andrew, for posting Philip Henshaw's review. Maybe there will be others to follow soon?

Like most of us, I shall not receive Lisa Chaney's new book until after it is published. If Henshaw is correct in saying that JMB's wife is not mentioned in the index, from which I suppose it is reasonable to assume that Lisa Chaney says nothing about Mary Ansell, this does seem very odd. From my own limited forays into research, I will say that finding anything substantial to add to what has already been said about Mary Ansell seems difficult. However, as I comment in my new book, Mary seems to have deceived Barrie about her age and her birthplace to the extent that she was six years     older than he, and indeed certain authorities, had been led to believe. When she married Gilbert Cannan she stated her age as no less than eight years younger than her true age. Either both husbands were deceived, or they both were happy to go along with her lies; it would be interesting to discover which is the truth. Mary was also a gambler, although I found no evidence for this within the periods of her two marriages; a few years after her divorce from Cannan, D H Lawrence appealed to her to cease her gambling, saying that he feared it might become a habit.

My information throws a slightly different light on the relationship between the Barries, for it seems there was a darker side to Mary Ansell than Barrie's biographers have so far revealed. My discovery of the truth about Mary Ansell's age, etc, was easily achieved with simple family history research techniques, and such research has been made considerably easier in recent years by virtue of so many official records being accessible online. A consideration of what effects Mary's deception(s) had on Barrie, if any, really should be a requirement of any new biography of him. In this one respect, at least, Lisa Chaney does seem to have made an unfortunate, if not glaring, omission.

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
New biography of Barrie
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 04:36:12 PM »
Further to my, and others', earlier posts on this subject, I think I can now explain why Philip Henshaw of The Spectator said that JMB's wife was not mentioned in the index of Lisa Chaney's new book:

1  He couldn't have looked very hard, if at all!
2  Lisa Chaney's indexing seems inconsistent.

In Chaney's index, if one looks up 'Barrie, Mary', one finds her listed as such but is directed to 'see Cannan'.  If one then looks up 'Cannan, Mary', she is not listed!  How strange is that?  'Cannan, Gilbert' is listed, however.  OK, so one looks for 'Ansell, Mary' instead (which, to me, being an amateur family historian, is entirely logical), and sure enough, there she is.  There are many entries under this name.  So one has to wonder just how thoroughly Mr Henshaw examines the books he reviews.

But Lisa Chaney seems to have been inconsistent in her indexing of this book because other females have been indexed not under their maiden name but their married name.  Perhaps there is logic in there somewhere, but to my relatively non-academic mind, I cannot see it.  Perhaps someone could explain this sometime.

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
New biography of Barrie
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 04:42:30 PM »
I haven't had time to read Lisa Chaney's book yet, merely skim through bits of it. That said, I would like to comment that it already seems that while Philip Henshaw correctly pointed out, in his Spectator review, that Lisa Chaney comments on Andrew Birkin's inaccuracies - what she actually writes about Andrew is '... one must be wary of the accuracy of his quotes from sources such as Barrie's notebooks' - Lisa is otherwise praising of Andrew's book, saying it is 'required reading'.   Amen to that!

Nevertheless, from my relatively inexperienced viewpoint, I would say that it is a bit cheeky of an author to point out another author's inaccuracies (always assuming they are indeed inaccuracies) while at the same time creating or perpetuating inaccuracies him/herself! For example, Lisa Chaney, like some of Barrie's biographers before her, makes the mistake of guessing little Margaret Henley's age when she died, and also gets it wrong. OK, in itself the accuracy of this piece of information may not be terribly important, but it is easily checkable so why not check it? More importantly, it causes one to wonder about the accuracy of other supposed facts mentioned in the book. (I have found other errors).

For those wishing to know, and please let it be correctly stated by all in the future, Margaret Emma Henley (daughter of William Ernest Henley and Hannah Johnson Henley formerly Boyle -  the little girl who inspired JMB to create the name 'Wendy') was born on 4th September 1888 at 1 Merton Place, High Road, Chiswick, and she died on 11th February 1894 at Ashburton Lodge, Ashburton Road, Croydon. Thus Margaret was aged just over 5 years and 5 months when she passed away. According to her death certificate, she died of “Tubercular Meningitis 23 days”. Very sad but, alas, not uncommon in those days.

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
new biography of Barrie
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 10:47:11 PM »
Review from The Scotsman:

An inner sense of innocence

IAN CAMPBELL

HIDE-AND-SEEK WITH ANGELS: THE LIFE OF J M BARRIE
BY LISA CHANEY
Hutchinson, 368pp, £20

THE NAME OF ROBERT Louis Stevenson often crops up in the story of the life of J M Barrie. It's an apt comparison. Both men came from a markedly Scottish starting point to worldwide fame as writers; both were excellent correspondents; both had romantic attachments to give biographers and critics pause for thought; and both were elusive characters whom it is tempting to read into their fiction.

To do that would, however, be to pin down and simplify shifting and elusive personalities. Barrie, like RLS, was aware of writing from his own experience but Lisa Chaney's narrative warns the modern reader against uncritically identifying JMB with any one, or any group, of his creations.

Much of Chaney's story covers quite well-known ground, though the writing is fluent and it sketches in two areas of invaluable background: the complicated Barrie family in Scotland; and the extraordinary circle in London and beyond to which Barrie aspired in his commercial success, where he found dozens of friends but few intimates, where his friends watched in dismay as Barrie's marriage foundered on years of non-communication.

Books on Barrie cope with the elusive nature of their subject by taking a focus - Barrie and the lost boys, Barrie and Scotland, and so on. This book is mainly about Barrie and Peter Pan, its interest being on the conception, staging, success and possible meanings of the play that ran and ran on both sides of the Atlantic and (as an appendix reminds us) has been transformed and adapted times without number.

In Chaney's hands the play becomes a version of hide-and-seek, with the author's intentions, with the possibilities of the stage in his time, with the personalities of the theatre impresarios and actors (and, above all, actresses) who were involved. Hide-and-seek with angels? Like Barrie himself, many of the personalities turn out to be complex, only partly admirable: like his loving but possessive mother (immortalised in the Thrums stories of Barrie's early career) Barrie could not stop himself from blurting out things that were artistically over the top, could not hide his obvious and genuine affection for people even when it would be inappropriate or even destructive. The lost boys of the Davies family became Barrie's "family": that blur between real life and what we most wish for is at the heart of the reading of Peter Pan in this biography. Nico Llewelyn Davies, youngest of the "lost boys", left a generous and slightly barbed tribute to the man who befriended, adopted and loved him:

"Of all the men I have ever known, Barrie was the wittiest, and the best company. He was also the least interested in sex. He was a darling man. He was an innocent; which is why he could write Peter Pan."

And in that paragraph lies the mystery of Barrie: there is still a lot to be written about his experiments in drama, about the fiction that followed his marvellously successful early Thrums stories, and the bibliography generously recognises those who have written and are still writing about that Barrie. Beneath the hard streak - what Chaney ascribes to Peter Pan as "cheerfully ruthless self-absorption" - there was an appallingly vulnerable human being whose complex artistic output (like Stevenson's) is still challenging the critics.

• The Saltire Society is republishing a paperback edition of A Window in Thrums later this month.

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
new biography of Barrie
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 10:51:13 AM »
Here is today's Sunday Times review:

The Sunday Times - Books

June 19, 2005

Biography: Hide-and-Seek with Angels by Lisa Chaney
REVIEWED BY ANDREW LYCETT
HIDE-AND-SEEK WITH ANGELS: A Life of J M Barrie
by Lisa Chaney

Hutchinson £20 pp402

There is far more to both J M Barrie and his lost boy Peter Pan than a combination of Edwardian whimsy and paedophilia, as Lisa Chaney’s absorbing new biography shows.

A man of turbulent post-Darwinian times, Barrie turned his personal anxieties about growing up into literary art. Like many of his fictional characters, he yearned for the rich world of childhood imagination, rather than the restrictions of adult reality. He first surfaced through Auld Licht Idylls (1888), stories based on his mother’s memories of his Scottish home town, Kirriemuir. His reputation grew with novels such as Sentimental Tommy (1896), which explored the conflict between youthful innocence and maturity. But success and wealth came with plays — not only Peter Pan (1904), but also sub-Wildean social satires such as The Admirable Crichton. The theatre expressed his desire for playful fantasy better than print.

Chaney achieves two essential aims of such a biography — throwing intelligent if not necessarily new light on Barrie’s complex character and demonstrating its effect on his output. She struggles at first with the drabness of Kirriemuir, where Barrie’s father was a hand-loom weaver. But she comes into her own in describing his dealings with his wilful mother. Young James was devastated by the sudden death of his older brother, David, the apple of his mother’s eye; he was convinced he could never match him in her estimation. Barrie’s feeling of inadequacy owed much to his physique: at 5ft tall, he felt invisible — always overlooked, always losing the girl. No wonder a fantasy world seemed attractive.

After Edinburgh University and a modest newspaper apprenticeship, Barrie went to London, where his wit and charm won him influential friends, such as the novelist George Meredith. Fellow Scot Robert Louis Stevenson saw “genius in him”.

As is well known, Barrie became besotted with Sylvia Llewelyn Davies (daughter of George Du Maurier, the author of Trilby) and her five young sons. She was the model for the eponymous female in Tommy and Grizel (1900), the novel where Peter Pan first appears, the boys were the inspiration for the denizens of Never Land when Peter was translated into the hero of his own play.

By then, with a eye for pretty girls, Barrie had taken the actress Mary Ansell as his wife. The marriage was always doomed. Since he was locked in his fertile imagination and preoccupied with Sylvia and her family, Mary sought solace in the arms of a young writer, Gilbert Cannan. When she demanded a divorce, Barrie’s friends, including the hypocrite H G Wells, unsuccessfully lobbied London’s editors not to report the case. Court evidence claimed Barrie had failed to consummate the marriage. Chaney ascribes this somehow to the indecisiveness that came from his sense of infinite possibilities. As Sentimental Tommy put it, life was easy with just one mind, “but not if you have as many minds as I have”.

After Sylvia and her husband died, Barrie became their children’s guardian. But his obsessive love satisfied nobody. He was grief-stricken when the oldest boy, George, was killed in the first world war, and was even more so when Michael drowned. Chaney acknowledges this was suicide, but is loath to blame Michael’s apparent homosexuality, and refuses to theorise about the possible effects on Barrie.

For Chaney is not given to idle speculation. She steers clear of modern cant about paedophilia, taking her cue from Nico, the youngest Llewelyn Davies boy: “I don’t believe that Uncle Jim ever experienced what one might call a stirring in the undergrowth for anyone — man, woman or child.” Instead, she makes a powerful plea for the imaginative writer over the psychologist as “the natural historian of love”. In the process, she forces us to take Peter Pan seriously, showing Barrie-like empathy with the young, disentangling the play’s roots in the Llewelyn Davies family, examining its various mutations and establishing its place in children’s literature. Here she does allow herself some licence: industrial society was losing confidence in established concepts of play, children were demanding more realistic representations of themselves, and, in an age of growing uncertainty, it was natural to seek to blur the effects of time. In refracting such diverse material through his own creative prism, Barrie’s claims as a protomodernist are not without foundation.

Available at the Books First price of £16 plus £2.25 p&p on 0870 165 8585