Author Topic: BBC radio's centenary programme  (Read 10437 times)

Helen

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
BBC radio's centenary programme
« on: September 11, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »
Hello!
I'm a Brazilian student of English. I'm researching about Barrie because my college's final work will be about Peter and Wendy and I've found you here.
As I'm brazilian I don't know much about the BBC radio's centenary programme Peter Pan Takes Flight. Can you, please, explain something about it? I've found some videos on youtube and I've downloaded audio files from this website. However, I'm not sure if both are the same production.
Please, help me.
Thanks a lot  ;D

Hannah High

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: BBC radio's centenary programme
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:45:06 PM »
Hi, Helen

Are you talking about the youtube clips that say narrated by Rupert Grint? Appears to be a 6 part documentary. This is not the same thing as the RADIO thing, though they both came out the same time and for the same thing. I only just realized the VIDEO clips existed because of you, but i only watch the first minute or two, so i don't if it's about Barrie or Peter or the various productions or what.... 

Peter and Wendy is an awesome experience, because you get to see the story at how the wild boy was in a certain moment in Barrie's life (he's was always changing)  not to mention all the narration can throw you into a whirlpool. Hope you have fun with your work on it at school. I had a similiar end of year project when I was 14 or so, and the teacher let me go out of class and do whatever I wanted with it. The escape from bullies and encouragment to have my head in the clouds got me into Barrie, and what a heartbreaking bliss and change of life it became.

For Barrie info, you should check out Andrew Birkin's book, JM Barrie and the Lost Boys (or the film version with Ian Holm).

All the best!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:03:29 AM by Hannah High »

Hannah High

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »
I just skimmed through the beginning clip with a dragging mouse, and it seems ghastly in my view (at least the narration and not digging to deep into the drama of Barrie's life), but i'm not watching it all, so don't take my word! There's info about Sir James, so perhaps you'll find windows to open...

As for the radio program, i haven't listened to it in moons, but I remember it having a lot of info too. 

Helen

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
Hi, Helen

Are you talking about the youtube clips that say narrated by Rupert Grint? Appears to be a 6 part documentary. This is not the same thing as the RADIO thing, though they both came out the same time and for the same thing. I only just realized the VIDEO clips existed because of you, but i only watch the first minute or two, so i don't if it's about Barrie or Peter or the various productions or what.... 

Peter and Wendy is an awesome experience, because you get to see the story at how the wild boy was in a certain moment in Barrie's life (he's was always changing)  not to mention all the narration can throw you into a whirlpool. Hope you have fun with your work on it at school. I had a similiar end of year project when I was 14 or so, and the teacher let me go out of class and do whatever I wanted with it. The escape from bullies and encouragment to have my head in the clouds got me into Barrie, and what a heartbreaking bliss and change of life it became.

For Barrie info, you should check out Andrew Birkin's book, JM Barrie and the Lost Boys (or the film version with Ian Holm).

All the best!

Thanks for your answer, Hannah High. :D

I'm reading the original text in English right now and I'm enjoying it very much. You know, there are many adaptations of the text in portuguese, but they are not as good as the english text. I mean, I can feel closer to Barrie's story now.
I'm researching it, as I already said, to do my University's Final Work, I think you call it monography. I just felt in love with English drama and all the kinds of literature that involves fantasy, imagination, magic and so on.
I will look for that book you suggested me. Every material will help me. And about films, I've watched  FINDING NEVERLAND, with Jonny Depp. My English Drama Professor had suggested it. It so interesting how an author's life is part of his work. I like to write and I always believe that we put oueselves in our writing. Is the name of the film you said I could watch the same as the book's title?
Sorry, I'm too curious. But do you know other books where I can find more analises of Peter Pan? It would be great to read literature critics' opinions on the subject.
Thanks again.
Have a nice week ;D

Hannah High

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 02:42:56 AM »
"I like to write and I always believe that we put oueselves in our writing."

Oh yes! As for Peter Pan, Barrie and his life can become one with the boy who never grew up. You just wait and see...

The film is called The Lost Boys which is very much about Peter Pan and Barrie (and is far superiour to Finding Neverland, which doesn't capture the real story too well. I'm not talking about facts and details of the author's life that were way off, but the spirit of Peter Pan and Barrie aren't really in it too much either. The Lost Boys film is amazing in capturing the spirit of Peter Pan, and Ian Holm - who plays Barrie- is STUNNING and in a sense, JM Barrie, himself!). You can find this on amazon...but when you search its name, search it with Ian Holm or Andrew Birkin, or else you may get another film of the same name (this is not the movie with vampires!!!!!!)

The book JM Barrie and the Lost Boys by Andrew Birkin is about Barrie's relationship with the five boys he adopted (and as you're searching for books about Peter Pan, I highly recommend it for it has that a lot). As for others about Peter Pan, himself...hmmm...when I was in my mid teens, I used to have a lot books about the character, but I only read one or two, and I don't have them anymore, so can't give you exact authors and stuff. I remember one called 100 Years of Peter Pan (that's about all his versions on stage and film).

What I recommend you do is go to the jmbarrie.net and sign up for the forum and post any of your questions there. Other authors and Barrie studiers (which includes Peter Pan) will answer your questions and give you books recommendations and their own opinions. Way better than I can, at any rate!

I wish a lot of luck to you!! I'm glad you write, it's a wonderful bliss (maybe I'll read you someday  ;D) And again with your quote about ourselves being in what we write, why don't you listen to this awesome radio program about Peter Pan and a writer...and someone else, I'd give a better summury, but I don't want to spoil anything for you...

http://www.anno.co.uk/anno%20tracks/2006-09-13-AX-Lost_Boys_Radio_4.mp3

Hannah High

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »
 "I just felt in love with English drama and all the kinds of literature that involves fantasy, imagination, magic and so on."

That's wonderful!

Helen

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
"I like to write and I always believe that we put oueselves in our writing."

Oh yes! As for Peter Pan, Barrie and his life can become one with the boy who never grew up. You just wait and see...

The film is called The Lost Boys which is very much about Peter Pan and Barrie (and is far superiour to Finding Neverland, which doesn't capture the real story too well. I'm not talking about facts and details of the author's life that were way off, but the spirit of Peter Pan and Barrie aren't really in it too much either. The Lost Boys film is amazing in capturing the spirit of Peter Pan, and Ian Holm - who plays Barrie- is STUNNING and in a sense, JM Barrie, himself!). You can find this on amazon...but when you search its name, search it with Ian Holm or Andrew Birkin, or else you may get another film of the same name (this is not the movie with vampires!!!!!!)

The book JM Barrie and the Lost Boys by Andrew Birkin is about Barrie's relationship with the five boys he adopted (and as you're searching for books about Peter Pan, I highly recommend it for it has that a lot). As for others about Peter Pan, himself...hmmm...when I was in my mid teens, I used to have a lot books about the character, but I only read one or two, and I don't have them anymore, so can't give you exact authors and stuff. I remember one called 100 Years of Peter Pan (that's about all his versions on stage and film).

What I recommend you do is go to the jmbarrie.net and sign up for the forum and post any of your questions there. Other authors and Barrie studiers (which includes Peter Pan) will answer your questions and give you books recommendations and their own opinions. Way better than I can, at any rate!

I wish a lot of luck to you!! I'm glad you write, it's a wonderful bliss (maybe I'll read you someday  ;D) And again with your quote about ourselves being in what we write, why don't you listen to this awesome radio program about Peter Pan and a writer...and someone else, I'd give a better summury, but I don't want to spoil anything for you...

http://www.anno.co.uk/anno%20tracks/2006-09-13-AX-Lost_Boys_Radio_4.mp3

Hey, you again! Thank you so much. You're great! :D
I'm downloading the radio program you've uploaded here. I just cant wait to listen to it!
I will look for that film here in Brazil and for the book too. 'Cause I don't like to buy things on the internet, i don't know, I think it isn't safe.
I'm going to sign up that site soon. I've visited it once, but I didn't have time to read everything.
I'll be back as soon as possible. And I hope to see you at that forum too.
 :)

Helen

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »
I've found the book you said I could read. There's a bookstore here in my city where I can ask to import it from USA. And it isn't too expensive. That's nice.
I am very motivated to do my work now. ;D