Author Topic: SO EXCITED!!!  (Read 6251 times)

CoriSCapnSkip

SO EXCITED!!!
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »
My sister just got tickets for the day after Thanksgiving for what will be my first LIVE production of Peter Pan!  I didn't even see the movie till I was in college!

AlexanderDavid

Re: SO EXCITED!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »
My sister just got tickets for the day after Thanksgiving for what will be my first LIVE production of Peter Pan!  I didn't even see the movie till I was in college!

As Jane said to Wendy, "Lucky you!"  :D

I hope it's the right production, though--that is, the Barrie version....

CoriSCapnSkip

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 12:47:13 AM »
The website doesn't give a heck of a lot of details.   ???

http://www.seattlecenter.com/events/event_detail.asp?ca_calnum=341064

Didn't Peter Pan go public domain a few years ago?  Meaning groups can do independent productions?   :-\

CoriSCapnSkip

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »
It was much better than I'd feared, in fact, it was GREAT!  Basically a revival of the 1954 Broadway musical with changes mostly having to do with the political correctness of the parts featuring the Indians.  Rather than Native Americans, they were dressed as Moldavians (with Turkish, Asian, and Middle Eastern touches) and the phony Native American music was also dropped, replaced with an AWESOME drums number!  The peace pipe was replaced by a stick topped with jingle bells as smoking is also politically incorrect.  The lullaby was also replaced with "Gentle Shepherd," beautiful round sung by the children.

I don't know what the problem is with the people supposedly casting a movie version of this with a woman as Peter.  Peter and the Lost Boys were all played by young MEN and sang the songs FINE.  (Plus, a young enough boy would sing higher anyway.)  I don't know if they changed the key from what Mary Martin sang, but the "Beautiful Lady" song was WAY FUNNIER with a boy!

The Darling boys did fly off in nightgowns, but Peter must have scrounged secondhand boys' clothing from somewhere as in the next scene they had boys' suits no better-fitting than those of the Lost Boys, who were dressed more like "Our Gang" than bearskins (okay, fur is also politically incorrect) but newer-looking.  The pirates were very traditional and WAY GREAT!  Michael DID have a teddy bear which he took with him (they had it on a string so he could hold it easily) and near the end Hook threatened it with a sword.

Kudos to the croc, but, I repeat, FANTASTIC sets, tremendous talent, truly great show!  Would recommend or see again!

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:04:16 PM »
Oh gawd...I want to see the Beautiful Lady number you speak of...I can just imagine tehehehehe I've always wanted to see Peter played by a boy!

CoriSCapnSkip

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »
If you like I can post things about the production and cast directly from the playbill.  (I saved three of them in case anyone is really desperate for one, too.)   ;D  I just wasn't going to post more unless someone was really interested.  The actors were wonderful.  The pirates were the sweetest.  Stayed at the end for a Q & A and asked audience members what would be in their own personal Neverland.  One of the pirates was the fight coordinator.  They must have had real metal for the swords and hook because they went to the trouble of clashing them in such a way that the sound was unmistakable.

I am still enthralled over this production.  My sister brought her two boys, 8 and 10.  The 10-year-old chose seats back of center as he said it was easier to see from the higher seats.  It proved an excellent choice with a perfect view.

When Hook was complaining that the strongest boy always got to play Peter Pan in Neverland games and "they force the baby to play Hook.  The baby!" I turned to Mom and remarked as to how the youngest would love that.  He's cherished the ambition to be a bad pirate for four years--half his life!

After Wendy asked, "Are they to die?" Hook gave this fantastic evil laugh and I looked over to see the 8-year-old sitting with this HUGE grin.  He's been practicing his evil laugh for quite some time and no doubt it gained some refinements due to this show.

I also looked at the boys when Tinker Bell was in distress.  The fairy-drinking-medicine effect was incredibly well-done--we couldn't figure out how they managed it.  The 8-year-old was clapping for all he was worth while the 10-year-old wore a scowl which clearly said, "I ain't clapping for no frickin' fairies."  He has nursed a bit of resentment towards Peter Pan since I bribed him ten bucks to dress up as Peter and pose for pictures--he claimed the cash was at best barely adequate compensation.  I am also banned from showing anyone out of the family the pictures until he turns 21.  Anyhow, his not clapping reminded me of a story my dad told of going to see a film of Peter Pan as a child.  He would have been six for the 1924 film, and may have seen it at a slightly older age if it was played again.  The first time he and his friend clapped for Tinker Bell, but the second time they saw it Dad said, "Let's not clap this time and see if that fairy gets better anyway," and sure enough, she did!  So I was glad to recall that story.

tcarroll

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 05:06:41 PM »
There is a small summer music theatre in my home town, (I live in the USA), and they have done Peter Pan several times.  It's always magic.  I can't wait until they have it again.  I understand your excitement. ::)

CoriSCapnSkip

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 08:56:22 AM »
I wish our theater could do it and wonder what's the smallest stage on which it could be managed.

tcarroll

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »
Our stage isn't all that large, but the production was wonderful.  The scene where the kids and Peter were flying in the bedroom was really good. 

DancingSpy

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »
Wow, lucky! I watched the youtube video of the rehersal, and it looked amazing! I think the only productions of Peter Pan I have seen are the annual Pantomimes at the theatre (it seems to be Peter Pan every four years or so) and the production on in Kensington Gardens over the summer (Managed to drag mum and dad down to England to see it - I felt quite acomplised :))

CoriSCapnSkip

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
Merry Christmas!  Glad to see people replying to this thread.  The credits are complicated:

Peter Pan
Musical based on the play by James M. Barrie
Music by Mark Charlap
Lyrics by Carolyn Leigh
Additional music by Jules Styne
Additional Lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green
Incidental music by Trude Rittman and Elmer Bernstein
Orchestrations by Albert Sendrey
Adapted by Jerome Robbins

Peter Pan is presented by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc.

Flying by Foy