Author Topic: The spammers are out. .  (Read 38553 times)

ecb

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
The spammers are out. .
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »
. . In force - lots of idiotic postings right now.  I hope something can be done about it. 

Dafydd

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: The spammers are out. .
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »
This is always an unfortunate side effect of having such an open forum on a website. The forum has to be as open as it is, firstly so that people can get instant access to the content of the site, and secondly to ease the administrative work associated with the stricter signup system.

It appears that the more recent spam is actually been put up by real people, judging by the poor attempt of taking part in some random forum topic. There is no automatic way of countering this, short of removing the ability to post links, but that would have a negative effect on genuine links posted by genuine people.

We have enlisted the help of others to try moderate the forum better. You can help the moderators by clicking the report spam link at the bottom right of each post you suspect to be spam or inappropriate for this forum. This will then list the posts in the moderator section of the site so they can be dealt with quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patient ad future help with reporting spam :)

Dafydd

ecb

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
Thanks for replying Dafydd - I know how difficult managing a board like this is!

I am not sure  however how to report spam - there does not seem to be a "report spam" link on the posts - just a notify link which is not the same thing.

JAQ

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Neverpedia
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
Maybe there's a "report spam" button for some users, but not for me. :(

Dafydd

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 12:40:25 AM »
Hey everyone,

Hope you all had a good Christmas, and a happy new year!

I have to apologise for not making my self clear about the report spam button. Its not a button at all but in fact a link that sits above the buttons at the lower right of each post.

This link now reads 'Report as spam' where as before it was 'Report to moderator'.

Sorry about the confusion.