Author Topic: Hello &question about P.Scott portrait &photos of JMB &E.Bergner  (Read 4813 times)

daria

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Hello &question about P.Scott portrait &photos of JMB &E.Bergner
« on: September 18, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
Hello,

My name is Daria and I am a scholar of German Literature. I have just completed a book about German-speaking exiles in London in the early 1930s, which will be published by Bloomsbury next year. The first chapter of the book is about the friendship between Barrie and the Austrian actress Elisabeth Bergner. I'm now in the process of sourcing images from copyright holders, but I'm having trouble finding the copyright owners of the Peter Scott portrait of Barrie (1934) and of three photographs showing JMB and Bergner in Cortina d'Ampezzo in 1935.

On this website, I found some old posts about the Scott portrait, of which Lord Kennet's son, Thoby Young, might know something. But his - and Barrie's - old house, Leinster Corner, has been sold, so I'm not sure where the portrait would be now and I don't know how to contact Thoby Young.

As for the photographs, which are printed in Bergner's Autobiography (Munich, 1978), I can't find them anywhere online or at the Elisabeth Bergner Archive in Berlin.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance!
Daria

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Hello &question about P.Scott portrait &photos of JMB &E.Bergner
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »
Hi Daria

It appears the Peter Scott portrait of Barrie is now in the Beinecke Library, Yale University : https://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Search/Results?lookfor=Peter+scott&type=AllFields&submit=Find. However, having ownership of the painting does not necessarily mean the Library also owns its copyright, as this might have been inherited by Peter's son, Falcon Scott. If any case, I should think the Beinecke would be able to help you.

I don't know anything about Elisabeth Bergner's pictures but as you may know, the Beinecke has the largest collection of archives relating to Barrie so they may be able to help you (although I can't see them listed in their database).

Another person who may be of help is the French author (and expert on JMB) who runs the Facebook page of Sir James Matthew Barrie (https://www.facebook.com/sirjmbarrie/) whom you could contact by sending her a message via FB. She has done extensive research on Barrie and contemporary actors who performed in his plays.

Good luck with your research and your book!

daria

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Hello &question about P.Scott portrait &photos of JMB &E.Bergner
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 07:05:02 PM »
Thanks, Brutus - this is all very helpful!
I'll do as you suggest.
All best wishes,
Daria