Author Topic: Davies family in Tilford  (Read 2146 times)

GoScoutUK

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Davies family in Tilford
« on: July 17, 2019, 05:11:22 AM »
I have recently come across this website with an entry on Barrie - http://www.godalmingmuseum.org.uk/index.php?page=james-matthew-barrie

There are many inaccuracies in it, which I am taking up with the museum as we speak. However, one quote is new to me.

"Black Lake Cottage was a summer retreat from Kensington, and here he entertained the Llewellyn Davies family, who rented a cottage at Tilford to be near him."

I was not aware that the Davies family stayed at Tilford. Does anyone know where they stayed? I know Tilford well and am not familiar with this place. I thought Barrie took the boys to Black Lake and they stayed there with him?

Grateful for any help. Thanks

Guy

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Davies family in Tilford
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »
In Sylvia and Arthur LD's lifetime, Barrie did not have the boys staying with him. Andrew Birkin's book mentions (p 83) a letter that Sylvia LD wrote to Mary Barrie on 16 June 1901 about their arrangements for the summer holidays that year: "We have taken a charming cottage at Tilford, near Mr Barrie's, instead of Burpham...." Andrew B writes that "the cottage at Tilford was less than a five-minute walk along the dusty, winding road to Black Lake Cottage", but doesn't give the exact address. There is a picture in his book of Sylvia with George, Jack and Peter standing outside the cottage and there's another on this site's database of the cottage itself http://www.jmbarrie.co.uk/view/342/

As it's not mentioned again, one assumes the LD only rented it for that summer.

If you find out more about the actual address, and if the cottage is still there, do let this forum know.

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
Brutus beat me to it!  I fear I can add nothing more, except to echo Brutus' hope that you'll keep us posted of any new revelations ...

GoScoutUK

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
Having been inside the former Black Lake Cottage, and knowing the current owner (slightly), I will do my best to find this place. I'll circulate the photo (assuming I have permission to do this), and see if I can get any more information.
Of course, if I find any more, I'll come back to the board.
Thanks
Guy