Author Topic: Lost Boys BBC Mini-Series Script?  (Read 10456 times)

Clueless in Seattle

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Lost Boys BBC Mini-Series Script?
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:41:34 AM »
I'm an old yank and am losing my hearing, so I have difficulty understanding the dialogue in movies, especially the dialogue in British and Scottish films. 

Over the last three nights I re-watched The Lost Boys mini-series, and was disappointed at how little of the dialogue I was able to understand.  It's been many years since the last time I watched it, so I was saddened at how dramatically my hearing has deteriorated in that time.  I would guess that this time around I was only able to understand about a quarter or less of the spoken dialogue.

So last night, after watching the third installment, I hunted around on the web to see if I could find the script for the series.  I found this clue in an interview with Andrew Birkin: "...the TV scripts (readable on the Barrie website)..."  http://www.johnnydepp-zone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5294&sid=c3cc9f483916bc3a7a9ee072fdcc98c8

I joined the Barrie website today and have been searching for the script, but so far have only turned up dead ends.  For example one post has a hyperlink that is supposed to link to the script, but instead links to a page saying
Not Found
The resource requested could not be found on this server!
http://www.jmbarrie.co.uk/The_Lost_Boys/TLB-complete.htm

The TV series is such a remarkable achievement, I hate to face the fact that I'm losing my ability to comprehend it.  If I were to have the text of the script at hand, I could read through each scene before watching it.

Do any of you know how I could obtain the text of the dialogue from the series?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Boys BBC Mini-Series Script?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »
Hello

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of hearing, and subsequent difficulties in being able to understand the dialogue in The Lost Boys. I'm also sorry you haven't been able to access the script via this website... There have been a few glitches in the database in recent times, and the website is due to be re-hauled at some stage but unfortunately, lack of manpower (i.e. someone who has the time and knowledge to do this!) and resources has meant this hasn't happened as yet.

However, I am pleased to say you can access the script via The Lost Boys (TV series) Wikipedia page, by clicking on the external link The Lost Boys Screenplay  http://www.jmbarrie.co.uk/abpage/TLB%20SCRIPTS/TLB.htm (which funnily enough, takes you back to the jmbarrie.co.uk site!).

I hope this will work for you and you will be able to enjoy the mini-series again! It is the best film ever made of JMB's life with the Llewelyn Boys, and puts to shame Finding Neverland.

Clueless in Seattle

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »
Thanks a million, Brutus!  That link worked!

So now all I have to do is cut and paste just the dialogue from the script into a new file so I'll have a script of dialogue only.  That'll keep me busy for a bit  ;o)

In the meantime, do you know if there's a DVD, Blu-ray or even a VHS version of the series that includes English language subtitles?  In the last few years I've had to resort to turning on those annoying English subtitles in English language movies, you know, the ones that not only print the text of the dialogue at the bottom of the screen, but also include written descriptions of sound effects, music, throat clearings, sobbing, "heavy breathing," etc.?

BTW, I agree with your dismissal of  "Finding Neverland."  I borrowed it from the library and found it unwatchable.  I turned it off after fifteen minutes and never looked back.  What a disappointment.

Thanks again for the speedy solution to my query,

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
Good, glad it worked!

I should have thought of checking first on the DVD - which I've just done on my copy, and yes, it does have subtitles. I assume the Region 1 US version would also, and you can buy it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Boys-Ian-Holm/dp/B000EWBOD6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1522855619&sr=8-12&keywords=the+lost+boys+dvd

Haha, I was being restrained about what I thought of Finding Neverland - I too thought it was unwatchable. I had to keep fast-forward it when it became too mawkishly sentimental and without any of Barrie's whimsy and humour. The ending of the film was just too much - you did the right thing not to watch it! And why did they have to leave out poor Arthur LD and the fifth boy, Nico?

Clueless in Seattle

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:26:16 AM »
Hi again, Brutus,

Sad to say, the version of "The Lost Boys" that I have is the Region 1 US version, but it lacks subtitles.  To be doubly sure, I called Scarecrow Video, which has what might well be the largest movie rental collection in the U.S., and the fellow who took my call was kind enough to hunt down their copy of the Region 1 US version and test it in their DVD player while he had me on the line.  Sadly their copy doesn't have subtitles either.   :(

However, I do have an all region DVD player, and have found the Region 2 version for sale on amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002PC2EA/ref=tmm_dvd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

So all I would have to do would be to give up my daily chocolate bar for a month, and I would have enough pocket change to order the Region 2 DVD.  ::)

Thanks again taking time to help me solve this problem.  I'm in your debt.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »
How annoying is that - and surprising - that the US version doesn't have subtitles? Anyway, it's good you can also play the Region 2 dvd, and I hope you can finally get your hands on a copy and enjoy the series - without sacrificing your daily chocolate!.

Clueless in Seattle

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
I finally splurged and got the region 2 version of "The Lost Boys." 

I watched part one night before last, and part two last night, and found tears streaming down my cheeks by the end of the second part.

Thanks again, Brutus, for alerting me to the fact that the region 2 version includes optional English subtitles.  What a difference those subtitles made for me.  It was like experiencing and entirely new movie.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »
I'm so glad you finally were able to get the subtitles and fully enjoyed watching it. I wonder why Region 1 versions don't bother with subtitles? They're so useful.

And yes, I agree, watching the story unfold is so moving, particularly the final part. Such a sad story, beautifully interpreted by all the cast.

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 06:02:44 PM »
Shame on me, but I've only just caught up with this discussion. Delighted to hear that The Lost Boys Region 2 carries subtitles - I'd never checked (nor indeed realised until the other day that the DVD contains cuts - sacrilege! Actually not - "If I'd had longer I'd have written it shorter" = Daniel Bernoulli? well whoever said it knew his creative onions ... 
Elsewhere on this forum, Brutus points out that only Part 1 of the script is on line... which again to my shame I only checked the other day and found to be not only true but even Part 1 is missing the opening two pages! I've now laboriously scanned the BBC Publications printed version of the script and converted it into Final Draft with a view to uploading it to the database, as and when - but if Clueless in Seattle is still out there and still interested, I'd be happy to email him a copy in gratitude ...