Author Topic: Peter Pan Play  (Read 1966 times)

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Peter Pan Play
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:28:51 PM »
Here is the only full play of Peter Pan I found online! It’s a community theatre play from 1991 that was directed by the user. The director, Michael D. Jackson (Yes it is an astounding coincidence that this is his name and he directed Peter Pan!) says an introduction before the play starts.

The acting is not the best and the director did cut stuff out, but it is still a decent production and I’m just happy that someone posted a non-musical play of Peter Pan!

It’s says the 1904 script, but he might be mistaken with that since Barrie did not license the play until 1928 and I have no idea how you could get your hands on the original 1904 script! But of course I’m the one who could be wrong here! Someone on this forum more knowledgeable than me can probably know the answer to this!

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/mGN5x_k6HpA
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:53:30 PM by Dani1923 »

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Pan Play
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 02:10:44 PM »
I suspect the script used by this community theatre in 1991 is Barrie's 1928 final version, which they would have got from the theatre agents Samuel French when they obtained a licence for their production. They probably meant that their production was based on Barrie's original play (as opposed to the many adaptations, musical or not), but not necessarily the same version as that staged in 1904.

The earliest script (or draft) is dated 1 March 1904 and is held by the Lilly Library at Indiana University. Search for "Anon: A Play" on the database here for the complete text, which Andrew has transcribed. I believe the Beinecke Library holds the rehearsal script of the 1904-05 production.

To get an idea of the differences between Barrie's original staged version and his final version first published (rather than licensed) in 1928,  the Peter Pan Keepsake* first published in 1907 by Chatto & Windus, is your best bet: it was novelised by Daniel O'Connor from the early production (later published by George Bell & Sons under the title The Peter Pan Picture Book with illustrations by Alice B. Woodward).

* I'll scan my copy and upload it on the database in the next few days.

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 02:59:37 PM »
Thank you so much for the info Brutus!

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 05:01:06 PM »
I have now added THe Peter Pan Keepsake to the database.

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 08:44:38 AM »
Thank you Brutus!