Author Topic: Why did Jack not go to Eton?  (Read 2568 times)

paddythewriter

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Why did Jack not go to Eton?
« on: April 04, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »
Does anyone know why Jack went into Naval training when the other four boys were sent to Eton and whose decision it was?
It seems quite extraordinary  that he was made 'the odd man out' in this manner.

GOSH

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • GOSH
Re: Why did Jack not go to Eton?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
I had always assumed it was because that was Jack's choice but after re-reading Andrew Birkin's book, I'm now not so sure! It seems the decision was taken in 1906, when Arthur LD was already ill. Barrie received a letter from his friend Captain Scott mentioning there was a vacancy at Osborne Naval College, and Barrie immediately replied, recommending Jack: "from his earliest days he has seemed to all of us cut out for a sailor". At the time, it is doubtful that Arthur & Sylvia could have afforded sending their sons to Eton as they were not that well off. Having Jack's education and possibly future career settled could have been a factor in the parents' decision.

It was only after Arthur's death (and later Sylvia's) that the other boys were sent to Eton, paid for by Barrie. By then George was very happy at Eton but apparently "Jack experienced nothing but misery at Osborne" but never mentioned this to either his mother or Barrie, so he never got the option of leaving the naval college. It is quite possible Barrie would have sent him to Eton too if he had known, although Jack was never close to him.

paddythewriter

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Jack not go to Eton?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:24 AM »
Thank you once again for such a full and detailed answer it is very kind of you to take so much trouble. Jack seems to be almost as a 'Lost Boy' to the other five and I wondered if this is further evidenced by his calling JMB 'The Bart' rather than the more family friendly 'Uncle Jim'.
Once again thank you