Author Topic: Photographs and some thoughts  (Read 2807 times)

paddythewriter

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Photographs and some thoughts
« on: April 10, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »
When I look at the photos of the five boys it strikes me how few images there are from their middle to upper teens. There are some of Michael, George and Nico but hardly any of Jack and Peter. Jack I can understand as he appears to have grown away from JMB during this period but Peter I don't comprehend.
I don't suppose we shall ever know the answers but were these photos lost or did JMB either get bored or not have the time to pursue his hobby of photography as the years went by? After all he did have so much on his plate.
Also I wonder who took the Peter Pan photos of Michael and JMB as obviously JMB couldn't have (I don't think they had self-timers back then) and the camera equipment and exposure seem to have been quite complicated .
Another thought came to my mind (while going on interminable and exhausting walks with my dog!!) if Peter was being ribbed/bullied over his 'being' Peter Pan it presumably was at school. Surely George, who was four years his senior, would have stepped in and 'had a word'. I'm sure George would never have stood for his brother being bullied.
Just some thoughts. :)

ecb

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs and some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:06:29 PM »
One thing to remember is that George was in a different "house" at Eton.  Peter was a scholarship boy and therefore a "Colleger" (if I understand the terminology correctly) - one of 70 King's scholars.  George was a paying student and therefore an Oppidan (living in the town as opposed to the College) in a House. (In fact I believe that George had taken the scholarship exam and not won the scholarship, which resulted in Barrie offering to pay his tuition.  Michael did pass the scholarship - I think - but it was decided that he should enter as an Oppidan anyway.  So although they would have seen each other sometimes, it might not have been that often.  Also since Michael was not in College, he and Peter would not have seen each other all that often either.  In contrast both Michael and Nico were in the same House and in fact shared the same room. 

If anyone is better acquainted with Eton, please pop in and correct me if I am wrong!! :D

By the way George taking the test for Eton and the disappointment when he did not get the scholarship, gives me a clue as to why Jack went into the Navy.  The Llewelyn Davies were not rich and the boy's education would not normally be something they could pay for, so scholarships and things like appointments to the Navy were ways to ensure they were educated.  After all Arthur and his brothers all won scholarships in their day.  Of course JMB swooping in with his generosity made all that unnecessary, but it had probably been the plan.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:43:49 PM by ecb »

paddythewriter

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs and some thoughts
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
Thank you for such a great reply that's made it all so much more understandable. I had forgotten about all the house etc restrictions of Private Schools (even though I went to one myself - not Eton though!!!) and I guess it would have been even more rigid in those days. :)