Author Topic: Barrie and children  (Read 2980 times)

genna

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Barrie and children
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »
Hello
I am currently writing my dissertation on the issue of child eroticization in fiction, focusing on the works of Barrie and Lewis Carroll.
I have read Andrew Birkin's wonderful book, The Lost Boys, and of course all of the letters on the website, which have proved very useful.  I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to give me a skiffy in the direction of any writers who may have openly criticised Barrie's relationship with the Davies brothers?  I have already read in one of Nico's letters to Mr. Birkin about a lady who gossiped about Barrie's "homosexuality".  Are there any solid references to gossip of the time like this, i.e: newspaper articles, that I coud get a hold of?
I want to prove Barrie was simply a man living his childhood through the Davies brothers, but obviously I have to give different views.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Genna

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Barrie and children
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, no hint that Barrie's relationship with the Davies boys might have been "unwholesome" or "inappropriate" (to use but two hideously PC terms) ever appeared in print during his lifetime. I don't if fact know who first publicly suggested it, or when, or where, and perhaps if anybody out there does, they might like to reveal it quoting chapter and verse!

clayto

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Barrie and children
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »
'Captivated:  JM Barrie, The Du Mauriers & The Dark Side Of Neverland' by Piers Dudgeon recently published
has relevant reference / comments