Author Topic: Editors  (Read 3530 times)

paulhess

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Editors
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
Does anyone know who edited 'Peter and Wendy' for publication?

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Editors
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
No one edited "Peter & Wendy" for publication! Barrie's original hand-written manuscript exists (in the Beinecke Library @ Yale), and it is exactly the same as the 1911 printed edition.  Various "retold" versions exist, usually for "younger readers", but this is - to the best of my knowledge - always stated on the title page.

paulhess

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
Thanks, Andrew. Family folklore has it that my Great Grandmother edited 'Peter Pan'. This is something my mother has metioned many times but it all seems a bit vague so I'm trying to put some clarification on it. My GGM's name was Mary Ann Scott Harper and her father (My Great Great Grandfather) owned a book printing business in Edinburgh in the late 1800's. Does her name ring a bell in anyway? I have some contacts at Hodder and will try and find out if she worked for them at anytime. Apparently she also translated it into German.

But as you have stated there have been many abridged versions, not quite as exiting as the original though. Could it have been the play? Will dig further, thanks again.

Cora

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
This is my first post on the site.  Is this the appropriate place to inquire about any of the major sites in London or in Scotland which are most associated with Barrie?  I plan to visit soon.  I thank you kindly in advance.