Author Topic: Correspondence from Guy du Maurier  (Read 5679 times)

pb1570

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Correspondence from Guy du Maurier
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »
I am looking for some help in establishing whether there is any correspondence in existence from Guy du Maurier whilst he was serving in the army in the Boer War. I'm hoping that, because of the connection between the Llewellyn-Davies and du Maurier families, someone on this forum may have this knowledge. I am researching the activities of the 20th Mounted Infantry/4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers whilst they were deployed in South Africa (1899-1902), of whom Guy du Maurier was the commanding officer, and any correspondence by/from him will prove an invaluable resource. I will be extremely grateful for any assistance provided. 
Regards
Paul Blumsom

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Correspondence from Guy du Maurier
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »
Yes, I seem to remember (from over 30 years ago!) that Peter transcribed a number of Guy's letters to his mother Emma du Maurier, sent from South Africa. I'm fairly certain that I still have a copy of them, buried in m'archives somewhere in Wales, but I'm currently in Paris so won't be able to check till I get back next week. I certainly hope I still have them as I can't think of anyone else who would....

pb1570

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »
Andrew
I'd be extremely grateful if you could look for them for me. I'm finding source material for the 4th Royal Fusiliers during the Boer War very scarce indeed!
Regards
Paul

rugbyremembers

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:11:53 AM »
Apologies for piggybacking someone else's enquiry but I too am interested in Guy du Maurier from a military -and rugby! -standpoint. Guy played for Rosslyn Park, quite possibly as Trixie was married to the Club's founder CC Hoyer Millar, which is a great way to get onto the team! You will see a rather theatrical photo on the website www.rugbyremembers.co.uk. Gerald apparently used to 'perform to his own accompaniment at the Club's informal smokers'.

The project began as an appeal by my U15 boys to recreate the 'lost 'memorial to the 70+ fallen from the club, and a book is being written to raise funds and further memorialise them.

I would be very keen to see any letters from Guy during Boer war or Great war.
Written in hope.

Stephen Cooper

rugbyremembers

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 05:42:18 PM »
Hello. This is a renewed enquiry in quest of Guy du Maurier's letters to Gwen from South Africa, if anyone (andrew?) knows of their source.
Rather bizarrely the above post is mone, but under the user name Appz - a mystery to me.
Guy du Maurier features in my current book about the rugby players of Rosslyn Park who died in the Great War.
Any leads on the letters most welcome.

Stephen