Author Topic: What Did Barrie Think Of AA Milne ?  (Read 2117 times)

Larry R

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
What Did Barrie Think Of AA Milne ?
« on: September 07, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »

Can't seem to find an answer. Obviously they knew each other, since Milne was an Allahakbarrie in 1913 I believe. Would love to know if Barrie had an opinion of Winnie The Pooh.

Rosalind Ridley

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: What Did Barrie Think Of AA Milne ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
Barrie liked, encouraged and supported A A Milne which A A Milne was very happy about. I don't know about Barrie's views of Winnie the Pooh but you can find several references to their friendship in 'A A Milne, the man behind Winnie the Pooh" by Ann Thwaite, Random House 1990. They also shared the view that childhood experiences were fundamentally different from the experiences of adulthood (see 'Peter Pan and the Mind of J M Barrie, An Exploration of Cognition and Consciousness' Ros Ridley 2016). 'Childhood is not the happiest time of one's life, but only to a child is pure happiness possible.' A A Milne 1939 'It's too late now.' Methuen     

Larry R

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »

Thanks Rosalind. I've just started reading
The Natural World of Winnie-the-Pooh: A Walk Through the Forest that Inspired the Hundred Acre Wood by Kathryn Aalto and am really enjoying it. I'll probably look for Thwaite's book next.

Larry R

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 02:41:10 AM »

I just picked up Ann Thwaite's bio of Milne, and it does have quite alot about his friendship with Barrie. Thwaite claims the Llewellyn Davies boys loved Milne as much Barrie did, and that they fought over his book The Holiday Round (1912) when it reached them on the Isle of Harris.

Larry R

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »

Some quotes from Milne regarding Barrie.

Have you seen Peter Pan ? It's too wonderful to live. My heroes in real life are J.M. Barrie and the editor of the Sheffield Independent.

The difficulty in the way of writing a children's play is that Barrie was born too soon... We who came later have no chance.