Author Topic: Deleted Scenes of The Lost Boys?  (Read 2613 times)

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Deleted Scenes of The Lost Boys?
« on: November 04, 2020, 09:44:29 PM »
Are there any deleted scenes of The Lost Boys that were filmed but not put into the final product?
I already know the beginning with JMB as a little boy with his mother and sister was never filmed. But also in the script there are little sections of scenes that I’m wondering were they ever filmed.

There’s the scene with George and Barrie when they are at Black Lake Cottage and George says that he loves Barrie and wants to be with him more than his parents, then George holds his hand while looking at a woodpecker.

And there’s a scene where Barrie finds that George bought The Little White Bird before going to fight in the war.

There’s also the scene where Michael comforts Barrie after Barrie reads George’s last letter to him.

There are a few more scenes like this, but I’m just curious if in general if there were scenes that were filmed but got cut or were they cut before they were ever filmed?

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Deleted Scenes of The Lost Boys?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 09:35:01 AM »
I’d completely forgotten those bits, but I imagine I took them out for one reason or another (I was never under any pressure from the BBC to cut anything unless it was to do with cost, i.e. the opening sequence). The only one I remember cutting was the woodpecker line, which was said to me verbatim but as his mother was reading the script I thought she might have guessed and been hurt, so took it out.
As to deleted scenes, BBC budgets were so tight in those days compared to movies that only studio scenes (or parts of scenes) shot on 2” video master tape would have been cut/edited down, in which case the unused tape would have been wiped and reused. In fact I don't remember any substantial cuts. The 16mm location footage may have had a few bits taken out, but no whole scenes – I have them in a barn somewhere as I was given them after the telecine edit, although they’ve probably faded beyond all recognition by now and besides, I’ve no idea what happened to the audio tape.
The only scene that was actually filmed and cut in the edit – at my urging – was Michael’s poem as I thought the performance/reading too feeble ...

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Deleted Scenes of The Lost Boys?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »
Thank you for your response Andrew! And I had actually been wondering for a while why Michael saying his poem at the end of the film was never done, since I know it was in the script, and now I know the answer! Thank you again!