Author Topic: Peter Pan Statue in Edgmont Park, Brussels  (Read 3306 times)

Sylvia8

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Peter Pan Statue in Edgmont Park, Brussels
« on: December 12, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
Hello everyone,

I tried to look if this subject had already been discussed here (I'm quite new to the forum) but I don't see it so: I'm Belgian but I didn't know there was a replica of Peter Pan's statue from the Kensington Gardens in Brussels... :
https://focusonbelgium.be/en/facts/did-you-know-statue-peter-pan-situated-egmont-park-symbolises-friendship#:~:text=The%20bronze%20Peter%20Pan%20is,second%20of%20June%20in%202010.

It's great and I will go and see it if it's still there and I was wondering what other places related to the Du Maurier family we could visit in Belgium, apart from the place where George Llewelyn Davies was unfortunately killed during the 1st world war. I think George du Maurier lived in Antwerp but I don't know where.

Thank you very much

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 03:46:00 PM by Sylvia8 »

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Pan Statue in Edgmont Park, Brussels
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 05:30:29 PM »
The statue in Egmont Park is definitely still there. It was restored a few years ago, not only from the damage caused by bullets in WW2 but Peter's pipe was replaced after it was stolen. It's not strictly speaking a replica, but the first full-size cast from the original mould by George Frampton himself. It was donated in 1925 by the sculptor as a memorial to the friendship between the two countries during the First World War. It is now listed as a Belgian national monument.

There are 5 other casts located in: Liverpool, US, Australia and two in Canada but these were commissioned by the cities, not donated by Frampton - so the one in Brussels is special!

According to George du Maurier's online biographies, he also lived in Malines as well as Brussels, but no actual address is given.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:52:20 PM by Brutus »

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »
Fascinating, dear Brutus - I had zero idea!

I've lately been transcribing Peter's Morgue*, dictating it into my iPhone, and every session I discover something new, even though I read it cover over a quarter century ago. Nor did we then have the internet, so that now I'm continually googling the various names that crop up. Today's little nugget - apart from yours - was that one of Arthur's medical advisers brought in by Barrie was a fellow named Treves. Ring any bells?  He was played by Anthony Hopkins in David Lynch's movie, The Elephant Man ...

* I'm up to December 1906, having started in 1889 when Arthur and Sylvia first met. If you click the Morgue tag, the entries come up in chronological order, with Peter's comments following the Transcription. I've thought it best to upload it this way as we have scans for some of the letters he includes, plus others that for whatever reason escaped his notice and were not included. Any comments or suggestions most welcome!

Sylvia8

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »
I didn't know any of that either, thank you very much for all the informations.

I will look at The Morgue, thank you for all the work that you do for this site, Mister Birkin.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:42:23 AM by Sylvia8 »

Hannah Grippo

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »
What great information! Thank you for sharing! I love all the connections of this ongoing story!