Author Topic: Hook & Jill  (Read 35274 times)

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
Re: Hook & Jill
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
If by that kind of ending you mean because they wouldn't see their daughter again...i guess that's kind of my point...this book gets away with it so i think it's equally possible for it to have happened the other way around.

I can tell you at one point i too wanted to be a mother but there are other ways of being a mother other than literally giving birth...so I guess you could say I know she thought that way but sometimes i feel it could be because of lack of knowledge at that age...the same thing with peter. I look at what Wendy does and I think she could be considered a mother just as much as one that gave birth. Like adoption or being a foster parent. Not saying thats how BARRIE meant it but that I think Barrie wouldn't want us to be all stuck in a cage and not think outside the box. I began to do this because of his fairy notes and little white bird...while they are not the final product of Peter Pan...they are something to think about.

I guess I also wonder if it was possible she might have had regret much later because even after having Jane when Peter comes back to visit...she actually has the thought of "woman let go" to herself.

I guess it's like this special I saw about Robin Hood...and how it starts off as one thing and as the years progressed you could see how the legend took on new things and characters..I'm not opposed to this happening with todays tales either. Especially when the author took them into consideration himself :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:19:10 AM by TheWendybird »

SingsWithRavens

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 05:56:22 PM »
Peter Pan-Therein lies the real connection to Mr Darling even if unintentional....they are both representing the status quo. That being said...as you've said to me before in our discussions here at home...sometimes characters take on a life of their own and you have no idea how things developed the way they did. I think the Hook and Mr. Darling parallels are pretty neat even if unintentional...I think it fits. Especially since Wendy doesn't return till the croc has swallowed him up...as if that Pirate in Mr. Darling has been killed and he can act like a loving father with his children. That's how it always hit me.
A fascinating take on the connection between Darling and Hook, one I haven't read before. I've always read the book understanding that there is a connection between Darling and Hook. How couldn't there be? Too many little things are shared between the characters: talking in third person when dejected, a wish to assert dominance (Darling, over his sons/Nana; Hook, over his crew), fear of being looked down upon (Darling, neighbors; Hook, crew again), both having had a 'classical education'.
You do notice a change in Mr. Darling toward the end of the book. He's gained a certain, humility, perhaps...saddened at the loss of his children, he takes to Nana's doghouse. I see a connection between the doghouse and the crocodile, as Mr. Darling states "This is the place for me." and "Full of remorse as ever, dearest! See my punishment: living in a
kennel." But, perhaps I'm taking it too far XD

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »
That's actually an interesting interpretation that I didn't think of.

But one question: when did Mr. Darling refer to himself in the third person?  I don't remember him doing that at all....

SingsWithRavens

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
In Chapter 2, when George and Mary are reflecting on the children flying away, George says: "I am responsible for it all. I, George Darling, did it. Mea culpa, mea culpa."
I don't think he says this in the play though...only in the novel :D

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
In Chapter 2, when George and Mary are reflecting on the children flying away, George says: "I am responsible for it all. I, George Darling, did it. Mea culpa, mea culpa."

Oh, right--yeah, no, he didn't say it in the play.  Of course, I never cared for that passage much anyway....  :P

SingsWithRavens

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 01:54:15 AM »
XDD It is a rather obscure quote (and not a particularly memorable one, at that!)

JAQ

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Neverpedia
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »
(Technically it's not speaking in the third person, just a bunch of first-person pronouns and verbs, and his proper name.  It would only be third-person if he paired his name with a third-person pronoun or verb, e.g. "George Darling, he did it.")

SingsWithRavens

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 06:36:42 PM »
@.@ I guess you're right! Thanks so much for the correction (*scratches off similarity from list*)

SingsWithRavens

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 06:16:35 AM »
I've ordered -Hook and Jill- from Amazon so it should be arriving next week or so. Based off of many of your comments, it seems like an all around good read...I'm very excited to start reading. Hurrah!

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
I've ordered -Hook and Jill- from Amazon so it should be arriving next week or so. Based off of many of your comments, it seems like an all around good read...I'm very excited to start reading. Hurrah!

Neat!  :D  Hope you like it, then!

SingsWithRavens

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 07:19:07 AM »
I always read a book with an open mind, but when the character of James Hook is involved, I become quite jaded. Hook's character, for me, is something that cannot - should not - ever be violated or reduced. To admit, I was a little frightened of what I might find in Jones' book.
I was surprised to the extreme. Reading -Hook and Jill- was remarkable on many degrees, all of which stunned me.
Andrea Jones managed to handle every scene of the novel with refinement and grace, a rarity in fanfiction. The story flowed beautifully. Symbolic motifs reoccured throughout. The development of character was stunning, and I was constantly reminded of why I love Hook's character so much...his elegance, his patience, his sensitivity.
This was an absolute jewel of a book to read.

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:25 PM »
I always read a book with an open mind, but when the character of James Hook is involved, I become quite jaded. Hook's character, for me, is something that cannot - should not - ever be violated or reduced. To admit, I was a little frightened of what I might find in Jones' book.
I was surprised to the extreme. Reading -Hook and Jill- was remarkable on many degrees, all of which stunned me.
Andrea Jones managed to handle every scene of the novel with refinement and grace, a rarity in fanfiction. The story flowed beautifully. Symbolic motifs reoccured throughout. The development of character was stunning, and I was constantly reminded of why I love Hook's character so much...his elegance, his patience, his sensitivity.
This was an absolute jewel of a book to read.

Glad you enjoyed it!  :D

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »
Just writing to say that I can no longer recommend the book Hook & Jill.  It's too adult and too controversial in parts.  In conception it was a neat idea but...no, I can't recommend it anymore.  Sorry.

Andrea Jones

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »
I'm pleased to see a healthy discussion of my work, "Hook & Jill," which I view as a serious parody of the Peter Pan story, and a respectful tribute to Barrie's masterwork. In "Hook & Jill," I question the premise that it is desirable to remain a child. Perhaps, after all, it's a greater adventure to grow up? One can draw one's own conclusion, but it's "great fun" to explore Barrie's ideas in further depth. "Other Oceans: Book Two of the Hook & Jill Saga" is now available, along with "Hook & Jill," at any bookseller. It takes place upon the high seas on the Jolly Roger. The two books together have won 12 awards, but you be the judge. I'm planning a series of five books in the Hook & Jill Saga.