Author Topic: Nico's Oct. 14, 1962 letter  (Read 5015 times)

ecb

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Nico's Oct. 14, 1962 letter
« on: May 25, 2005, 05:11:53 PM »
OK - having had such luck with Roger Senhouse's letter, I venture to ask about Nico's Oct. 14, 1962 letter to Mary Hodgson.  It is a very long letter, but I think one page might be missing.  After page 4 where Nico is discussing his nephew Timmy and where he might be, he begins a phrase  with "Jane - then page 5 turns out to be the envelope dated Oct.15, 1962, then page 6 continues the letter with the phrase "cruel as that remark is" obviously NOT a continuation of page 4.  Page 7 is a blank.

A bit confusing when you write it down, but obvious enough when you take a look at it.

By the way, I know Mary Hodgson died in 1962.  Do you (or anyone) know when she died?  I notice the above letter was Nico's second to last letter to her, the last one dated Dec. 1, 1962.  Obviously she must have died at the very end of the year.  Sad to think that she and Nico apparently never met after when - the 1940s or so?  However her insistence on not meeting his other Mary as well as the fact that she lived so far away would naturally lead to that circumstance.  She certainly treasured his and all the boys' letters.  How lovely that her niece allowed you to copy them all!

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Nico's Oct. 14, 1962 letter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:21:42 PM »
I'll check this out as soon as I get back to Wales - many thanks for pointing it out....