Author Topic: Michael as Peter Pan  (Read 24937 times)

Peter Pan

Re: Michael as Peter Pan
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »

PRECISELY--it amazes me how foolish our culture has become to think that nudity or even the reproductive organs are always automatically equated with sexuality.  What's next, parents being forbidden from bathing their children unless the children are in their clothes (so they won't be naked)?  Parents being required to keep their kids in diapers until they reach puberty (or perhaps adulthood) so they won't see their privates until they're "ready" to be sexually active?

Naa... that won't happen...

... everyone will just need to have a lawyer with them every time they're in a room with a naked child.  ::)

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »

PRECISELY--it amazes me how foolish our culture has become to think that nudity or even the reproductive organs are always automatically equated with sexuality.  What's next, parents being forbidden from bathing their children unless the children are in their clothes (so they won't be naked)?  Parents being required to keep their kids in diapers until they reach puberty (or perhaps adulthood) so they won't see their privates until they're "ready" to be sexually active?

Naa... that won't happen...

... everyone will just need to have a lawyer with them every time they're in a room with a naked child.  ::)

Including their OWN naked child, and then the lawyers will take advantage of their proximity to molest the children themselves and blame the parents and get the kids taken away by Child Protective Services, blah blah blah....

Point is, it's stupid.

Peter Pan

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 01:22:53 AM »
Including their OWN naked child, and then the lawyers will take advantage of their proximity to molest the children themselves and blame the parents and get the kids taken away by Child Protective Services, blah blah blah....

Point is, it's stupid.

Aye. There's already psych-evaluations and gawd knows what else when anyone wants to adopt a child. The governments take every possible precaution to ensure that adopters aren't looking for children for dubious reasons (you're even required to be married to prove that you want a "normal" family). I figure it's only a matter of time before the same kind of paranoia invades the homes of natural parents just as much. It's already on its way there.

Crocodile

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »

There are only 4 photos extant of Michael dressed as P P, taken at Rustington in 1906. Two of them were in Peter's wife Pee's album (the one that mysteriously went missing after I returned it to Peter's son Rivvy in 1976, but which I had already rephotographed in 35mm), the 3rd was in Nico's album called "Sunny Memories" (the superb one on the cover of my book), and the 4th - of Michael and Barrie together (the photo on this website's homepage) was loose in a box. There may of course have been others, but to the best of my knowledge none have ever surfaced in the 30+ years I've been on the case.

Was the missing album the same one which went up for auction in 2012?  This absolutely must be it, but oddly I can't find any mention of this momentous auction in the forum or elsewhere on this site.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164380/Meet-real-Peter-Pan-Long-lost-photo-album-shows-snaps-author-J-M-Barrie-boys-inspired-classic-novel.html

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2012/english-literature-history-childrens-books-and-illustrations/lot.121.html

Does anyone know the story behind this?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:49:43 PM by Crocodile »

Brutus

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
Yes, that was the missing album. There was indeed a discussion about this on this forum at the time of the Sotheby's sale, but you must have missed it! It's on the second page of the Davies Family section, originally posted by ecb under the subject "Davies photo album for sale at Sotheby's".

Crocodile

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 07:22:26 AM »
Thanks.