Author Topic: Great Ideas  (Read 5810 times)

AnnaPink

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Great Ideas
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:05:46 PM »
Thanks a lot for the "Great Ideas" video! I especially like the AE Housman quotation (I hadn't heard it before watching the video). A very apt message for people who try to overanalyze the play or who want (only) one correct answer for every question.  You're probably right that the addition of Hook makes Peter less 1-dimensional, but I love the idea of PP without him. The thought Barrie had of Peter torturing some poor little girl to make him tell her stories is really disturbing and intriguing...I suppose Peter in the final play is still quite a menacing figure to parents in the audience, with the implication that he can steal children away...(he's probably thrilling to children in the audience for the exact same reason).

What was with the spooky lighting in that video, BTW?

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Great Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 09:39:27 PM »
The lighting had nothing to do with me, nor all those rather heavy-handed Alice-down-the-rabbithole shots.... the director's style no doubt. Glad you liked the Housman quote - it comes from his brilliant "Name and nature of poetry" lecture given @ Cambridge in 1933...