Author Topic: JM Barrie visiting grave George Llewelyn Davies  (Read 4485 times)

enclosure13

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
JM Barrie visiting grave George Llewelyn Davies
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
Hello, I'm looking for information about JM Barrie and Belgium : did JM Barrie visit the grave of George Llewelyn Davies in Flanders / Belgium. I haven't found any indication so far that he actually went overthere. Can anyone state wether this is correct?
Thanks very much!

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: JM Barrie visiting grave George Llewelyn Davies
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
The answer - if there is one - will reside in the pages of Mackail's biography. I can't check it myself as I'm somewhere in France on a recce, but will try and do so when I get back...

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fierychariot.co.uk
Re: JM Barrie visiting grave George Llewelyn Davies
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:06:26 AM »
You're correct, Andrew. Page 508 of The Story of J. M. B:

"Barrie, however, had the best part of a week only just behind the lines, in the middle of July (1917). He climbed the Messines Ridge, or what remained after the terrific explosion which had led to its capture last month. He saw balloons being brought down by German aeroplanes, and their observers floating to earth. He managed to get forty-eight hours' leave for Peter. And - this time in very considerable danger  - he sought and finally discovered George's grave, among thousands of others, near Ypres."