Author Topic: the myth of peter pan  (Read 9746 times)

kobayashi

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
the myth of peter pan
« on: February 22, 2006, 07:42:23 PM »
hi!

i decided to make my master thesis of english literature on peter pan and especially on the question of myth.. The problem is that researchers focus on a psychological study. Does someone knows if the question of myth has been studied from a literary point of view?
If someone has suggestions about my topic, let me know!
thank u

Iain Buik

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Myths
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 09:28:23 PM »
As part of my own studies of JMB  I have tried to avoid PP but just as an insight to the Myths . For a starting point JMB was steeped in the folklore of Scotland,tales from his early childhood as well as the Scots History ,in particular the JACOBITE cause which was only  a hundred years previous,The Capt Hook figure is pure "bonnie prince charlie"  similar with Robert Louis Stevenson's Alan Breck Stewart  in KIDNAPPED both  out of place of a time that is gone and will never return, the old way had died , and only the sentiment remains.
   The legends of Faery again is as ancient as time in Scotland, One must appreciate that the faery folk are not just the miniscule winged humanoid (mini human) that Tinkerbell portrays Faery folk can be of similar size to us ,or larger, the gnome like faery has the purpose of gaurdianship , they protect a specific stone, tree, grove or sacred place.Supernatual powersand again within the cyclical nature of life , birth living, then death as the Sun and Moon Cycles Winter Solstice birth spring, growth,Summer solstice Zenith of Power/life, Autumn witherand ageing Winter death then rebirth.The Properties of the effect of the Lunar cycle of similar vain but more subtle in form from new moon, quarter moons to full moon returning to the new moon, The Dionysis Cult attach importance to these cycles.
 Peter Pan himself is a Dionysis identity, a messenger of the mythological Gods.Again similar to Hook not wanting things to change or captive in a time frame, unalterable,Unfetered and can move freely and can fly taking to the fourth dimention but in that time space but  unable to move on  or evolve himself.
I hope these brief notes are of help.
Cheers
Iain

kobayashi

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
the myth of peter pan
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 01:00:01 PM »
Thank you for your ideas. Indeed, I 'm studying the Peter Pan's dioniysiac pattern, i'll dedicate one part of my outline to the inspiration of greek mythology (Pan, Dionysus, appolo, and etenal child at large, the concept of puer aeternus). I think the scotish folktales are important too. But as a french, i need to make researches, scotish folklore is not very famous here.
Concerning the myth, because my issue is : is peter pan a myth, i need to define clearly what a myth is, and which caracteristics of the myth are embodied in the novel.
i have another question : in france JMB is not famous, everybody knows peter pan but nobody knows who JMB is. Is it the same in UK? I mean, is Peter more famous as Barrie? I had a debate with my teacher on that issue. (If peter is more famous, it can prove that it is a myth, peter managed to transcend his author).
thank you Iain

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
the myth of peter pan
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 05:48:40 PM »
Unquestionably Peter Pan has transcended his creator in terms of global celebrity, although of course Johnny Depp's portrayal of Barrie in "Finding Neverland" has helped to salvage him from total obscurity. As to why this should be, who knows? I should say that Lewis Carroll is almost as famous as his "Alice in Wonderland"; Carroll wrote little else apart from mathematical tomes, yet Barrie wrote scores of other novels and plays. Has Mowgli eclipsed Kipling in the same way?

kobayashi

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
the myth of peter pan
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 07:59:04 PM »
thanks for your answer Andrew. It is difficult for me to judge how Barrie is perceived in UK.. I think Barrie managed to create a powerful character, he created a myth, which is by definition an anonymous story. This is part of my arguments.
The story of Peter Pan and its creation is fascinating, in so far as its case seems to be quite unique, a character who managed to take power over his author!
thanks.. i think it will help me!

jamesbutler4546

Re: the myth of peter pan
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
hi!

i decided to make my master thesis of english literature on peter pan and especially on the question of myth.. The problem is that researchers focus on a psychological study. Does someone knows if the question of myth has been studied from a literary point of view?
If someone has suggestions about my topic, let me know!
thank u

Carroll wrote little else apart from mathematical tomes, yet Barrie wrote scores of other novels and plays.