Author Topic: Map of Neverland  (Read 6518 times)

KStirling

Map of Neverland
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
In Barrie's scenario for a proposed silent film of Peter Pan (reprinted in Green's Fifty Years of Peter Pan), he describes the first sight of the Never, Never Land thus:
We see the island all glorious and peaceful in a warm sun. We see the whole of it as in a map, not a modern map but the old-fashioned pictorial kind with quaintly exaggerated details. I have a map of the Never, Never Land, in this style which should be reproduced. (182)
Does anyone know anything about the map to which Barrie refers? Is it in one of the archives? GOSH?

GOSH

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • GOSH
Re: Map of Neverland
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
It would indeed be fantastic to see a map of the Never Land as imagined by Barrie... Unfortunately, the Barrie archives we have at the hospital date from 1929 when he bequeathed us Peter Pan and the film scenario was written in 1920, so we wouldn't have it. If it still exists, it might well be at the Beinecke Library at Yale, since they have in their collection Barrie's actual film typescript - and different versions of it too. I have seen part of their vast collection but not the map, as I hadn't thought of enquiring about it.

It would be very interesting to know what's happened to it, so if you ever find out, you must let us know.

GOSH

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • GOSH
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »
Apologies, as I've just seen your other post where you mention you've looked at the collection at the Beinecke so obviously have not come across the map there... So it looks as though they don't hold it either, unless it got mixed up with the scripts.

SingsWithRavens

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »
*plans trip to Yale*

Sounds most epic indeed. I was actually planning on drawing a large (and by large I mean very LARGE: probably 5' by 8') topographic map of the Neverland this summer. I suppose mine wouldn't be very "Barrie-esqe" based on what he describes here, however :L