Author Topic: Sredni Vashtar  (Read 3673 times)

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Sredni Vashtar
« on: December 17, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
I was on Andrew’s YouTube channel and noticed the comments were turned off for Burning Secret and Sredni Vashtar, so I decided to re-do my comments on both movies and put them on the forum!

Sredni Vashtar was a 1981 short film written and directed by Andrew and is about a boy named Conradin who lives with his super strict great aunt Augusta who secretly prays to a god he calls Sredni Vashtar, which is actually a ferret he keeps in the shed in the backyard. When his Aunt Augusta goes too far, Conradin prays to Sredni Vashtar to get revenge!

Again, this is a simple and beautiful film! And, of course, there is a reference to Peter Pan. There is a scene where we see Conradin’s bookshelf and the books Peter and Wendy and The Little White Bird can be seen.

Also something interesting is that also on the bookshelf is Joan of Arc by Mark Twain, and Andrew would later co-write a film adaptation of Joan of Arc in 1999.

Another interesting fact is Conradin is played by Sacha Puttnam, who first encouraged Andrew to write The Lost Boys movie and was the inspiration for a lot of the dialogue for the younger versions George and Michael in the film! And Aunt Augusta is played by Andrew’s mother, Judy Campbell!

Of course, I recommend you watch this!

Here’s the link to the film:

https://youtu.be/m-RI9WBpPGQ
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:44:45 PM by Dani1923 »

Hannah Grippo

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Sredni Vashtar
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 12:58:39 AM »
Oh, I love this film! I'll have to watch it again. It's been ages. I first saw it age 17 and remember noticing The Little White Bird book on the shelf. Dani1923, you're awesome at spotting Peter references! And, yes, great film...simple and powerful. I love watching the two lead actors as well! Thanks for the reminder.

Dani1923

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Sredni Vashtar
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:56:55 AM »
No problem! And thank you for the compliment Hannah! 😀