Author Topic: Mrs. Darling's Kiss  (Read 7726 times)

tcarroll

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Mrs. Darling's Kiss
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
Reading over the first part of Peter Pan this morning, I was once again fascinated by the kiss that no one could ever get from Mrs. Darling.  Each time I read it, for some reason I think of Sylvia's "crooked smile" that Barrie so admired.  It's like there was something very small that Sylvia always kept back from everyone, almost in a teasing way.  Does that make sense to anyone?

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs. Darling's Kiss
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »
Nico was very sure that Mrs Darling's elusive kiss was a variation on Sylvia's crooked smile...

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »
That is so awesome I never thought of that connection before...the kiss in the right hand corner...the crooked smile! Great thought! It had never occurred to me!

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »
Barrie also gave that little trait to Grizel, in Tommy and Grizel.  That wouldn't have happened, I daresay, if he hadn't known her by the time he was writing that.  ;)

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:42:17 AM »
Barrie also gave that little trait to Grizel, in Tommy and Grizel.  That wouldn't have happened, I daresay, if he hadn't known her by the time he was writing that.  ;)
That's actually one of the things that made me feel Barrie had feelings for Sylvia as well as his wife...I dunno why he'd mix her into that character otherwise but then again...you can take from anywhere you well please when you are a writer so meh maybe I'm wrong..but that combined with how he thought she was the most beautiful creature...hmmm Either way he respected her marriage that's the main thing.

tcarroll

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
I agree Wendy.  I think Mr. Barrie respected both Sylvia and Arthur in every way.  But still..I think there was something very special about Sylvia.  Mrs. Barrie had to be aware of it, even though it didn't effect she and Mr. Barrie as far as we know.  I think Mr. Barrie was such an honorable man, he would never have  allowed it.

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »
I agree Wendy.  I think Mr. Barrie respected both Sylvia and Arthur in every way.  But still..I think there was something very special about Sylvia.  Mrs. Barrie had to be aware of it, even though it didn't effect she and Mr. Barrie as far as we know.  I think Mr. Barrie was such an honorable man, he would never have  allowed it.

Totally agreed. Does anyone know if they actually were engaged when she died since he was divorced and Arthur was gone? I've heard Sylvia was devoted to Arthur right up to the end... I've not been sure what to think of what Barrie is said to have claimed...or do people just think he was living out a dream of his somehow?

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »

Totally agreed. Does anyone know if they actually were engaged when she died since he was divorced and Arthur was gone? I've heard Sylvia was devoted to Arthur right up to the end... I've not been sure what to think of what Barrie is said to have claimed...or do people just think he was living out a dream of his somehow?

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they WEREN'T engaged--remember that letter Barrie wrote ostensibly to "Sylvia du Maurier" before she got married....

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 03:15:51 AM »

I don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they WEREN'T engaged--remember that letter Barrie wrote ostensibly to "Sylvia du Maurier" before she got married....

You mean that letter he wrote that was actually apparently after she was married but he wrote to her before she was..the one where he said something like "Tomorrow you are to be married" and he goes on to say something about he wont be there or something? That always puzzled me...it almost feels he drew on the whole thing with Peter not showing up at the church to forbid the banns on him and Sylvia or something...or at least his hidden emotion about it all.

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 03:22:02 AM »
You mean that letter he wrote that was actually apparently after she was married but he wrote to her before she was..the one where he said something like "Tomorrow you are to be married" and he goes on to say something about he wont be there or something? That always puzzled me...it almost feels he drew on the whole thing with Peter not showing up at the church to forbid the banns on him and Sylvia or something...or at least his hidden emotion about it all.

I think you got confused....

He didn't even know Sylvia until after he met George, Jack, and Peter.  But the letter was addressed as though before her wedding and dated thus.

TheWendybird

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Girl Who Waited
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 03:43:02 AM »

I think you got confused....

He didn't even know Sylvia until after he met George, Jack, and Peter.  But the letter was addressed as though before her wedding and dated thus.

Yes that's what i was saying? LOL I was saying that it seemed to me that letter was an example of him feeling like Peter not showing up at the wedding. When it was written doesn't matter in what I'm talking about I know it wasn't till then :D