Author Topic: Peter Pan wiki  (Read 12566 times)

JAQ

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Neverpedia
Peter Pan wiki
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:40:37 PM »
I want to let people here know that I've begun a wiki about Peter Pan, J. M. Barrie, and pretty much anything related.  It's based in part on information from Wikipedia, but goes into (or eventually will go into) topics that don't qualify as "notable" by their standards, such as articles for each actor who played one of the Lost Boys in the 1924 film, for every character who appears in The Little White Bird, for every play Barrie wrote, etc.  I welcome the involvement of others interested in developing an online informational resource about the boy who never grew up and the man who never grew tall.  You can find it at http://peterphile.info

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Pan wiki
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:47:06 PM »
I think your site looks very promising indeed (apart from the name), but I think you should cite your sources (e.g. Nico's quotes, which come from his letters to me) as well as crediting this website with the photos that come from our database, most of which belong to GOSH. I tried emailing you privately, but it bounced back...

Holly G.

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
... "the man who never grew tall"... I can't read that without grimacing !!!!

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fierychariot.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »
I feel the same way as Holly.  I think there is general agreement that Barrie was about 5 ft 3 ins tall, and that's not exactly short, but he stood tall among his contemporaries, did he not?

JAQ

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Neverpedia
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I've been on the fence about changing the name of the site, based on comments from those who thought the pun in poor taste, and I've decided to go ahead with Option B, which is Neverpedia.  It's a bit too Wikipedia-alike for my tastes, but it's clear – and inoffensive – enough.  I don't want the site to become a visual mess of footnotes on everything, but I take your point, Andrew, about the need to cite quotations and sources of images, and I'll be working on that. 

As for "the man who never grew tall": it was just a little joke, a play on words.  It seems that everyone who knew him commented on his stature at some point, and I see no reason to take offense at it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:01:39 PM by JAQ »

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »
I've been on the fence about changing the name of the site, based on comments from those who thought the pun in poor taste, and I've decided to go ahead with Option B, which is Neverpedia.  It's a bit too Wikipedia-alike for my tastes, but it's clear – and inoffensive – enough.  I don't want the site to become a visual mess of footnotes on everything, but I take your point, Andrew, about the need to cite quotations and sources of images, and I'll be working on that. 

As for "the man who never grew tall": it was just a little joke, a play on words.  It seems that everyone who knew him commented on his stature at some point, and I see no reason to take offense at it.

I'm just glad the URL didn't change because I had that bookmarked....

Anyway, I didn't find the original title offensive--I didn't even realize how it could be offensive until someone else explained it to me.

I do find it a useful source of information, and I'm glad it exists!

JAQ

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Neverpedia
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
The "official" address is now Neverpedia.com, but the old URL will still work for the foreseeable future.  (I have some other plans for it eventually.)

AlexanderDavid

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:32:58 AM »
The "official" address is now Neverpedia.com, but the old URL will still work for the foreseeable future.  (I have some other plans for it eventually.)

Thanks for the info--updated.

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:06:54 AM »
Just for the record, I didn't find the name offensive either, I just though it might hinder rather than help. I don't think footnotes need be an eyesore - they look fine on Wikipedia, which is what your site seeks to emulate (?) - indeed, as you probably know, Wikipedia won't accept quotes unless the source is given. Good luck in keeping up with the excellent work thus far - I'm sure it will prove invaluable to many.

Allahakbarrie

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »
5ft 3 IS certainly short for a man, and a number of photographs show that Barrie was rather dwarfed by his contemporaries such as Arthur Conan Doyle. One of his fellow Allahakbarries remarked that 'he was small, frail and sensitive, rather awkward in his
movements, and there was nothing athletic in his appearance'. Barrie was a small man.

But I agree with Robert Greenham that he made up for his physical stature in many other ways:

Was ever set so huge a heart
Within so small a frame?
So much of tenderness and grace
Confined in such a slender space