Author Topic: JM Barrie. Where did he live?  (Read 11789 times)

livingborough

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
JM Barrie. Where did he live?
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:44:40 PM »
Hi I'm new to the forum and couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere else. I hope someone on this forum could clear up some confusion.

Question: Where did JM Barrie live in Kensington & Chelsea, London?

There is a blue Plaque of  Sir James Barrie (1860-1937) - Novelist and Dramatist,  at 100 Bayswater Road, W2 but other sources such as newspaper articles and so on report  J.M.Barrie lived at No.113 Gloucester road
example link:http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23432266-67m-to-live-where-peter-pan-was-born.do

So which is it I wonder?  Bayswater or Gloucester road?

Westh76

Re: JM Barrie. Where did he live?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »
He lived at both addresses. He and Mary Ansell moved to Gloucester Road in South Kensington in 1895 after they married and lived there until 1904. They then moved to Leinster Corner, 100 Bayswater Road until 1909. After his divorce, and until his death, he lived at Adelphi Terrace off the Strand (where there is another plaque).

livingborough

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »
Oh thank you Westh76 for replying so fast,  that clears it up.

Thank you again

mikey2573

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
I was wondering if someone lives in Barrie's old Adelphi flat now?  Has it been remodelled or is it similar to the way it looked in Barrie's time?  Are there pics of it online?

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »
I visited his top floor flat in the Adelphi in 1976: at that time it was an NHS office, white washed, with the great inglenook full of filing cabinets. No one seemed to know that Barrie had lived there for over 25 years!