Author Topic: barrie's siblings  (Read 41947 times)

davies

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
barrie's siblings
« on: November 25, 2006, 10:55:16 PM »
I have recently discovered that my great grandfather may have been married to one of JM Barrie's sisters. This would have been his second marriage subsequent to the death of my great grandmother. His surname was likely to have been Low. Any information about Barrie's sisters and their marriages would be greatfully received.

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fierychariot.co.uk
barrie's siblings
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:07:59 PM »
As far as I can tell, the only sisters of JMB who could possibly have remarried were: Mary and Isabella.  If they had done so, Mary would have remarried having the name Mary Edward Galloway, while Isabella would have had the name Isabella Ogilvy Murray.

Here are the basic BMD-type details, insofar as I know them, of JMB and his siblings:

(K = Kirriemuir):

Alexander Ogilvy Barrie, born K about March 1842, died K July 16, 1914, married Edinburgh July 31, 1877, Mary Cowan (born February 6, 1856, died K February 19, 1928), had 9 children.

Mary Edward Barrie, born K about January 1845, died unknown, married August 13, 1879 John Galloway. (children?).

Jane Ann Adamson Barrie, born K March 14, 1847, died K August 31, 1895, did not marry.

Elizabeth How Barrie, born K March 12, 1849, died K April 2, 1851.

Agnes Matthew Barrie, born K December 23, 1850, died January 1851.

David Ogilvy Barrie, born K January 30, 1853, died Bothwell, Lanarkshire, January 29, 1867 (contrary to many accounts, David died of inflammation of the brain a week after fracturing his skull when he was knocked over and hit his head in an accident on the ice while watching his friend skating pond).

Sara Mitchell Barrie, born K June 3, 1854, died November 1, 1903.  Did not marry.  (Name was recorded as Sarah for the 1861 census).

Isabella Ogilvy Barrie, born K January 4, 1858, died 1902, married K December 2, 1880, to William Murray. (children?)

James Matthew Barrie, born K May 9, 1860, died London June 19, 1937, married K July 9, 1894, Mary Ansell (born Paddington, London, March 1, 1861, died as Mary Cannan at Biarritz, France, June 30, 1950).  No children. Divorced London April 1910.

Margaret ('Maggie') Barrie, born K July 9, 1863, died 1936, married K 1893 Wiliam Henderson Winter (born Scotland about 1858, died after 1936), one child: William Winter (born Medstead, Hampshire, about November 1897, died about 1954).

Good luck with your searching.  I should be very interested to learn how you get on.

davies

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
related by marriage
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:48:48 AM »
Hi
many thanks to those who responded to my last posting. I'm afraid that I had not got my facts quite right but having been able to visit one of my aunts, I now have the definitive family link and wonder if anyone can provide any further details to the material I enclose below. It appears that my great great grandfather, David Shepherd, a master baker from Forfar, married JM Barrie's aunt, Jean Barrie after the death of his first wife (my grandmother's grandmother). I think that they had children themselves but would be intrigued to find out more

many thanks
Noelle Davies

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: barrie's siblings
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »
Hmm.  I'm afraid I do not know of an aunt of JMB's called Jean Barrie.  I know of only two sisters of JMB's father, David Barrie.  These sisters were named: Mary (born 1808 in Kirriemuir) and Betty (born 1809 in Kirriemuir).  That is not to say that there weren't any others, however.  But if there weren't, I suppose it is a possibility that one of David's brothers may have married a Jean someone, then died, and then the widow Jean Barrie might have remarried to your David Shepherd.  So, looking at David's brothers, we have: John Barrie (born 1819 in Kirriemuir), but he married Agnes Brown; Alexander Barrie (born 1821 in Denhead, Dundee), but I don't know whether he married; and George Barrie (born 1823 in Denhead, Dundee), but I don't know whether he married.

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:26:20 PM »
Aha!  Forgive me for not looking at farther branches within my Barrie family tree.  I have found a Jean Barrie of the same generation as JMB's father  (which is why she might well have been referred to as JMB's aunt)  but she was a daughter of JMB's grandfather's brother William Barrie, and so was a 1st cousin of JMB's father.  This Jean Barrie was born in 1821 in Kirriemuir but I have no information about any marriage or children.

I think there's a good chance that this is the Jean Barrie you are seeking, and I shall e-mail you direct about this.

emilybarrie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 06:17:50 PM »
Hi,

My name is Emily Barrie

I believe that from what my grandparents have told me that through marriage on my paternal side, i am linked to JM Barrie

My grandfather on my dads side is Robert Barrie, and my Grandmother Jean Barrie (through marriage to my grandfather). My father is Adrian Robert Barrie, and my mother Catherine Barrie (nee Fletcher before marrying my father)

I'd like to know as much information as possible, as i am very interested in my family history ...i am aware that Barrie lived in Angus at some point in his life... a family tree would be great as it would help me to trace marriages etc through the internet to find out how many generations back i am related to JM Barrie.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou
Emily Barrie

KGB1970

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:34:49 AM »
Hello folks from across the pond in Canada.

I have a question about the Barrie Family do any of you know of family members that moved to Canada?

My late grandmother had told me that we were related to the Barrie clan, that her late mother Christine(the rest of the name is on documents in storage at the moment, but i plan to get then soon i hope) was a niece of Sir. J. M. Barrie. And that she had married an Irishmen and that by doing so was disowned by the family.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
I don't know whether anyone else here can help you with this. For my part, all I can offer to you is that, if you are indeed related in the way you think you might be, then the chances are pretty high that your great grandmother Christine was a daughter of J. M. Barrie's eldest sibling, Alexander Ogilvy Barrie and his wife Mary Cowan.  I say this because, as far as I know, and for various reasons, so few of Alexander's siblings seem to have had children, and I know that the youngest (Margaret, or Maggie) had just one son. 

So perhaps some information about Alexander could be helpful to you:

Alexander (nickname Alick) was born in Kirriemuir sometime between July 1841 and March 1842, and I know this because he is shown as aged 9 in the 1851 census (which was held on 30 March 1851). He was baptised on March 26, 1842.  Completing his education at Aberdeen University (with first class honours in Classics) Alexander set up his own private school in Lanarkshire, although he did not run this for many years. Soon he gave up teaching at Glasgow Academy to become an Inspector of Schools. He married Mary Cowan (birthdate and place unknown to me), the sister of William Cowan, an educated Edinburgh merchant who sold silks in Princes Street, on July 31, 1877, in Edinburgh.  They had nine children. I know none of their names.  Some time after his retirement in 1907, Alexander and Mary lived at 'Strath View', Kirriemuir, the former home of JMB's parents and where JMB married Mary Ansell.  Alexander died in Kirriemuir on 16 July 1914, aged 72. Mary died there on February 19, 1928.

Good luck, and please let me, if not the forum, know what more you discover.

Robert Greenham

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:11:41 PM »
Just a little more information which might prove helpful:

Of Alexander and Mary's nine children, two were boys: Charlie, born in about 1881, and another (whose name I do not know) was born in about 1882. Charlie married a woman in Manchester. Both Charlie and his brother were killed in WW1.

KGB1970

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »
ok now i have some more info:

So the birth certificate says
Christina Elizabeth Smith Barrie.
Born - Oct 1, 1903
35 Hollybrook Street, Glasgow

Father - Claud Hamilton Hamilton Barrie (yes 2 Hamilton's)

Mother - Agnes Brown Barrie, M.S. Welsh, April 26, 1899 (date of marriage)

also my great grandmothers obituary read as:

Christina McKenna After a lengthy illness at Toronto on Saturday, December 12, 1987. Christina (Barrie) McKenna, beloved wife of the late Francis. Loving mother of Mrs. Stan Bradley (Nancy), Mrs Donald Fraser (Francess) and Mrs. Harold Snow Lillian\my Grandmother). Dear sister of James, Margaret, Claude, Robert, William and Andrew.

I also have found a in rememberance card reads as:

Funeral Services for William Barrie

Born in Renfrew Scotland June 29th, 1942 died in Toronto, Ontario July 4th, 1989

Services conducted at Ward Funeral Home "Weston Chapel" on Friday, July 7th, 1989 at 11:00 A.M. By Reverend Keith Kiddell, Cremation at Riverside Crematorium Chapel Weston Ontario

So folks can any one confirm what i've got here? Anyone? Anything?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:16:56 PM by KGB1970 »

elspeth fistouri

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 06:58:05 AM »
I learnt some years ago from my 94-year-old aunt that James Barrie was my great great uncle, but am in the infuriating position of being unable to obtain any further details, as she is the only surviving member of that side of the family.
All she told me was that her grandmother was a Barrie, with many siblings, among them being James.
I live in Greece and have no idea how I can go about obtaining more information.

Elspeth Fistouri (nee Murdoch)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:53:40 AM by elspeth fistouri »

Queenie

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 04:15:56 PM »
Hi - I came across your post by chance and Christina Barrie McKenna is my Mum's Aunt. My Mum is Margaret Welsh Barrie (Peggy after another of her Dad's sisters)and her father was Claude Hamilton Barrie (just one Hamilton this time!) She knew her father had a brother Jimmy and a sister Chrissie who had emigrated to Canada.
After seeing the information you posted I ordered the marriage sertificate and birth certificates for Christina's parents. All the family look as though they came from the Refrew area near Glasgow and were employed in the shipbuilding industry on the river Clyde. If you would like to explore the connection further please let me know.

Detecive Sanchez

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:41 AM »
Hi,

I'm a Los Angeles Police Detective and I am working a case where we found several items and letter that might have belonged to a Jean Barrie. The letters were dated from the mid 1920's to 1930's. If anyone has any information on a female Jean Barrie who lived in Los Angeles and was a nurse during that time please contact me at 35282@lapd.lacity.org or at (213) 486-0577. 

kimmipiepie

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:42:53 AM »
You may want to try contacting member, Emily Barrie on this post. She has a grandmother, Jean Barrie. Or Robert Greenham at the top of this post. He is very knowledgable in matters of Mr. Barries family tree.  J.M. Barrie had a sister Jane Adomson Barrie, but I don't think she was ever in the U.S. I logged on here today looking for info because I saw the story on channel 7 news today. ( I am in Orange County), and My great Aunt Deane uded to live and work down there at MGM Studios,  from the late 30's to the early 70's. Best of luck.
Kim W.

kimmipiepie

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »
I did some ome work on the info from the news video and apparently, Jean Barrie was a member of the Peter Pan Woodland Club in Big Bear, Ca. This was a resort that burned down in 1944. Hope this helps.  : )

You may want to try contacting member, Emily Barrie on this post. She has a grandmother, Jean Barrie. Or Robert Greenham at the top of this post. He is very knowledgable in matters of Mr. Barries family tree.  J.M. Barrie had a sister Jane Adomson Barrie, but I don't think she was ever in the U.S. I logged on here today looking for info because I saw the story on channel 7 news today. ( I am in Orange County), and My great Aunt Deane uded to live and work down there at MGM Studios,  from the late 30's to the early 70's. Best of luck.
Kim W.