Author Topic: Peter and Wendy first Uk impression undated.... why?  (Read 7281 times)

ildetersivo

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Peter and Wendy first Uk impression undated.... why?
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
Hi everyone ! I'm from Italy, and although I'm quite young I love antique books.. For my birthday I bought a first Uk edition and a first impression of Peter and Wendy.
I've read that we can say that is a first impression because unlike the following ones only the very first has NO date impressed.
I' ve also read that this detail was asked by JM Barrie himself, and you can find this info in this book:

- Sir James M. Barrie: A Bibliography ; by B. D. Cutler

Does anyone read this book or know the meaning of that detail ? Why Barrie didn't want the date's impression on the first impression?

Anyway... Thanks you so much!!  ;)

Jay

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Peter and Wendy first Uk impression undated.... why?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »
I have always assumed that the true first 1911 edition was not dated because publishers at that time were not so punctilious about including the detail (other books published in the 19th or early 20th century aren't dated either).

I had never heard that it was Barrie himself who asked for this - and if he did, I cannot think of a reason! However, I couldn't find that reference in my copy of Cutler's book - where does it mention this?

ildetersivo

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »
Hi ! I saw an ebay auction, not so many time ago, in which the seller wrote:
Book undated, as asked for ( R.D. Culter, Sir James M. Barrie A Bibliography, pp.146-7).

What is it written in this page ? i was interested in reading those pages..

Thank you!

Jay

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
The pages are correct, but it doesn't mention anywhere that the date has been left out as per a request by Barrie. The section gives a full description of the edition, collation and binding but nothing about the absence of printed date. If you want, let me know your email address and I'll send you a scan of the pages.

JAQ

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Neverpedia
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »
It seems most likely just a typical publishing oversight, but IF Barrie requested that the year of publication not be included, I'd guess it was because he wanted to pretend that it was an old story.

andrew

• Administrator
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:38:46 PM »
Fascinating - and the first time I've ever heard of such a request by JMB... and yet it is not out of keeping with his character to have asked for such a thing. Odd though that Mackail makes no mention of it (on p434) ...

ildetersivo

• Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:33:02 AM »
The pages are correct, but it doesn't mention anywhere that the date has been left out as per a request by Barrie. The section gives a full description of the edition, collation and binding but nothing about the absence of printed date. If you want, let me know your email address and I'll send you a scan of the pages.

Hi ! i've send you the email with a private message...

Anyway, i've found the link of the ebay auction i was telling up there, i can try to ask the seller why he wrote " Book undated as asked for" quoting Cutler.. ;)